SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

Digitalis lanata alert

I just found this article on one of our local TV station websites

"ST. PAUL, Minn. - The Minnesota Department of Agriculture is asking for the public's help in eliminating a toxic weed showing up in eastern parts of Minnesota.
Grecian foxglove is not native to North America. The plant came from central and southern Europe and is known to be growing in parts of Washington, Dakota and Wabasha counties.
Officials say the weed is poisonous, and both fresh and dried plant parts are toxic. The plant's leafy portions could be mistaken for lettuce or other leafy greens."

When I started to do some Googling, I found a seed source claiming the following:

"Holder of the Royal Horticultural Society's prestigious Award of Garden Merit (AGM), this unusual foxglove is well-worth trying in a shady, well-drained spot in the garden."

Has anyone else heard of warning in regards to growing this plant in your state? I don't do foxgloves because they don't survive the winter for me, so I find it very odd this one is becoming a problem in our state. It sure must be hardy. I also find it odd this plant was actually given an award by the RHS. Is it a common occurrence for something considered a noxious weed in one part of the word to by given an award?

It really does have a pretty flower.

Kevin

Comments (10)