SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
estreya_gw

Did i make a mistake using my yucky sludgy compost as a topdress?

estreya
14 years ago

Last Spring, i began composting in a plastic garbage can with air holes drilled into it. For the kitchen scraps, shredded cardboard and what have you i was tossing into it, it seemed to be working just fine. I let it do its thing over the winter without adding anything new to that can.

Three or four weeks ago, i looked inside and it had all gotten pretty wet and smelled quite a bit, but it was definitely decayed (with the exception of one large, thick stick i put in there). I closed the lid, unsure of how to manage this mucky blackness, and i felt a little deflated.

Today, i experienced a burst of "just do it" and ended up dumping the stuff and spreading it out around my lilacs as a top dress. They're far from the house so the smell (which will be temporary i know) isn't an issue. But my question is this:

Was i too hasty in my use of this less than ideal compost gunk? Is it possible this sludge isn't really fully finished enough (even though it all looks thoroughly decayed) to be used as a top dress? Will it "burn" delicate roots?

Noobie questions i know, but i'm learning, and very determined to get better and better at composting.

Thoughts?

Comments (6)