SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chrisedwards132

Craftsman LT1000 (Kohler engine) starting issues

chrisedwards132
10 years ago

Im experiencing some issues with my Craftsman LT1000 that Im hoping someone may be able to shed some light on. The engine is a Kohler Command (model CV490S). And of course, most of the literature/hints/tips for this mower online are for the Briggs motor...

Im having trouble starting the motor, what Im finding is that I have to engage the electric start for 30 sec or more to keep it running. Engage choke turn the key and it kicks over and sounds like its running normally, drop it to its running throttle location and its all good, but if I let go of the key, it will die. To get it to run, I will have to do this process a few times. Turn on with the key and keep the electric start going for 30 sec or so. To be clear, it will not stay running if it is not assisted by the electric start for a period of time well beyond just getting the engine kicked over. Once its running, it runs fine. But if I stop the motor for any reason, moving some of the kids toys out of the way or whatever, Its a bear to get restarted. Any ideas why this is? This is not a problem that Ive seen anyone else talking about.

Possibly related, possibly not, yesterday for the first time it suddenly died for no reason while mowing. Just stopped. I restarted it each time but it just died. I think that it was likely because I was mowing a newly seeded part of the lawn where I let the grass get really long, but I thought Id throw it in. No noises, or symptoms, just stopped.

Any suggestions about the starting issue would be appreciated, I know my way around a wrench, but with small kids, I no longer have the luxury of taking an afternoon to screw around in the garage...

Comments (21)

Sponsored
More Discussions