SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaguarmusicboy_gw

Oversized tires and other lawn tractor modifications

jaguarmusicboy
16 years ago

I have a project in mind involving purchasing a used but well maintained small to medium lawn tractor with a rotary deck and making some modifications. Before I take the plunge and spend the $$$, I wanted to see if there were any

folks out there with more mechanical experience than I have who might advise me on whether or not this would work.

I have a 2+ acre parcel of land on my property which is fairly rough terrain. It has been cleared/thinned about three times, once during the time of original settlement, once somewhere in the 1950s, and once three years ago when I bought the property. We hired a crew to take down a lot of trees (second growth and scrubb) so the area would have a more park like appearance. The first year after that we paid another service $1500 twice to bush hog the area in the spring and fall. $3000.00 is a lot of money to shell out on a regular basis so this year I attempted to do it myself with my 1953 Farmall Cub and

a brush cutter designed to work with the tractor on it's fast hitch.

I found that the tractor, small as it is, was two large and cumbersome to navigate the remaining trees and the maze of hidden rocks, stumps, and roots that are all over the place. About the eighth time I hit a rock I succeeded

in shattering the cast iron housing assembly for the rotary blades and that was the end of that. The mower went off for expensive repair, and I took to weed whacking by hand which eventually led to the painful discovery that I have multiple herniated discs and spinal stenosis, and I wound up in bed for two weeks narrowly avoiding surgery. So... rule out the (small) big tractor, and rule out weed whacking FOR EVER!

It occured to me that what I needed was a SMALL manuverable lawn tractor; but I need around 8" of clearence for a high cut in order to avoid all the obstacles.

Any sort of lift kit involves suspension, steering linkage, and perhaps changes in the deck drive system (belt lengths, etc) and that would be a pretty expensive proposition. However, a gear driven machine with very slow low gears might lend itself to having oversized wheels or tires mounted which would serve to raise the overall height of the mower deck without too much other fuss and bother.

I have my eye on an MTD mower with a 32" deck and an 11 hp engine. It has

higher clearence between the top of the wheels and the rear fenders and front

body than most allowing for an increased wheel diameter of perhaps as much

as 9". Such a change will inevitably increase the speed of the tractor and might stress the engine and drive system - especially in upper gears (has 7 forward and 7 reverse gears). However, if I stick to the low gears, this might

give me the clearence I need. Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Thanks

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville
More Discussions