SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rckowal

Garden Irrigation Systems

rckowal
12 years ago

I need your advice please. I'm thinking of installing a basic DIY irrigation system for my vegetable & flower garden. But before I start, I thought it would be a good idea to seek some professional guidance.

I've already done research on the subject so I have a pretty good understanding of what's involved & many of the products out there. At this point, it appears to me that I should use a combination of 1/4" porous soaker (or drip emitter) tubing for the vegetable rows and some drip emitters for other individual plantings (shrubs, perennial flowers, etc.). These would all be supplied by a 1/2" poly tube (about 125' long) that will be connected to an existing 1" lawn sprinkler supply line which also has a hose connector on it. Here are some of the decisions that still need to be made where your thinking will be helpful.

1. Which brand is preferred? Rain bird & Orbit both have starter kits that can be expanded by adding more tuning & other options. Are there other brands worth considering?

2. Which is preferred - very flexible 1/4" soaker (Orbit) or drip emitter (Rain Bird) tubing for the vegetable rows?

Best regards, Richard

Go to the top of the page Go to the top of the page

Edit

Comments (6)