SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jules_sum

Help selecting a tree for small area PICS

17 years ago

I have a start on the landscaping and plant selections however I am kinda stuck. I have been researching trees and have a few that are possibilites. I did purchase one royalty crabapple tree that is really beautiful maybe I should purchase another to match and balance it out? We also like edible landscaping so I was a little tempted to plant something like a dwarf fruit tree (ugly in shape to me but edible), or a serviceberry tree....but I am thinking keep the front fairly low maintenance and go with a small tree or large upright shrub? Any suggestions? I was looking at the nursery and they showed me a mature Korean Spice virburnum (sp?) and it was so amazing in fragrance and seemed graceful in it's appearance but it was 10 years old.:) So any suggestions on maybe a multi trunk large shrub r a nice smaller speciman tree...also the crabapple is blooming now (mid/late April) so I would lime something that blooms either before or preferably after to spread out the fun thru the seasons.......I like 3 season interest too....am I picky or what?

There is a small laceleaf red japanese maple planted, it has a corkscrew trunk and it is only supposed to reach a 4ft spread and probably not much taller than it is now so it is tiny. It really is not enough to fill that bed so I planted it to one side to leave room for a larger taller something.

Here are pics...

{{gwi:17814}}The bed I want the tree in

{{gwi:17815}}from another angle it is the far off bed

So far my ideas/options are:

a golden chain tree (when do these bloom later in the spring?)

a serviceberry tree (for berries and early bloom time)

a Korean Spice bush (If the everyday foliage is nice not just when they bloom)

Or a neat evergreen like a weeping hemlock or something, or weeping mulberry etc...

I would like some height of around 10ft-15ft but it can't spread too far maybe 15ft wide.

another royalty crabapple tree (to give more balance, just have to keep it trimmed like the other one?)

or any other suggestions!!! HELP! This bed is right out my living room window and I see it alot so I want something neat year round.

I hope I get some good suggestions or ideas, everyone is so helpful and knowledgeable here!

PS. pardon the mess where we will be building the deck and front porch on the front of the house (it will be a gabled roof to add some interest to the house's plain exterior) it is a work in progress, we are towards the end of a 5 year remodeling plan, Whew!! Is it over yet?

Comments (16)