SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
s10sleeper

In need of brake religning on Bolens-Iseki G154

s10sleeper
10 years ago

Been having a little bit of trouble on my 1978 G174 recently, when I try to use my steering brakes, the left has alot more travel and does not work as well. I am certain if I am able to find a manual get it all done, as a nearby machine shop is able to reline them for me. My problem is none of the shops will touch the tractor since parts are hard to find. I am able to locate parts, just need to find a manual or something that has the info I need.
service manual is best in case I have other issues arise. Otherwise it does great for my LandPride tiller

Comments (4)

• larso1
    10 years ago

I have an Iseki TS1910F (similar to a Bolens G194). Unless something else is happening that I am not understanding, it should be a simple adjustment of the brake rod (connected to the brake pedal). My manual reads as follows:

1) The free play of the brake pedals is from 15mm to 20mm (about a 1/2-in. to 3/4-in.) at the top of the pedal. Both pedals should actuate their own brake with the same pressure. If not, all should be adjusted by means of the brake rods.
    2) When the adjustment is finished, lock the rods securely with the lock nuts.

HTH.

• larso1
    10 years ago

Here are some photos from my manual in case adjustment won't correct the problem. Hopefully the link below works. If it does, the 8 photos may be in reverse order so open the last first and so on:

Here is a link that might be useful: brake system pics

• larso1
    10 years ago

looks like I posted twice. please disregard this one

This post was edited by larso1 on Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 10:56

• mownie
    10 years ago

If, in fact, it were to turn out that the shoe lining was worn thin, brake shoes of this type can be easily relined by a brake shoe rebuilder. Of course, the shoes would have to be removed and forwarded to such a brake rebuilder, but most large cities have at least a few firms that do this, and inexpensively too.
    It is also possible (read the manual text) that oil has leaked into the brakes and fouled the linings, causing them to be ineffectual.
    If so, the oil leakage would have to be deal with first.
    If oil contaminated, it is very iffy whether cleaning the shoes with brake cleaning solvent would restore effectiveness of the shoes.
    Oil soaked shoes would preferably be replaced (or relined) as the best option over attempted cleaning with brake solvent.

Sponsored
More Discussions