SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
justdan23

Pressure drops in one zone but never recovers

justdan23
14 years ago

One of my lawn irrigation spray zones has 9 popup heads (all Rain Birds). Initially for the first year this worked great while maintaining approx 70 PSI.

Today, the pressure starts out at 70 PSI and after about 10 seconds the pressure drops to between 15-30 PSI and never recovers. When this happens, the heads all drop back inside and gurgle water puddles for the duration of the zone cycle.

I'm suspecting the problem is with the valve (a Hunter SRV) as it seems to close fast when turned off causing some water hammer only with that valve/zone.

I opened up the valve assembly box and cleaned out some water residue, but no luck. I'm going to retry another cleaning. It is possible to clean these? I've heard a grain of sand can cause havoc with these valves. I'm thinking of soaking it in vinegar to see if that also will work.

Another idea I had was to buy an exact model replacement and replacing only the top portion with the internals rather than ripping out the whole glued in valve assembly.

Another possible cause is that I opened the radius to spray from 180 to 360 degrees for extra coverage from three of the heads. I can switch them back, but I'd really like to figure out a better solution to the low pressure problem to allow me to set the radius larger if I need to.

Any thoughts?

Comments (2)