SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adrian_monk2

Birch tree advice, and other madness.

adrian_monk2
14 years ago

I'm considering Whitespire birch and Dura-Heat River Birch trees. I got the idea for the Whitespire by reading that it is birch borer resistant. Also, my girlfriend is of Russian and New Hampshire background, and likes white birches. I recently saw that New Hampshire is covered with white birches, probably paper birches, right?. They look impressive, but I keep reading about the borer. As for the Dura Heat River Birches, I know they aren't white, but reports seem to suggest dense leaves, which I like. For either, I'm considering buying them from a mail order outfit "FF" on the upper West Coast that has done well for me in the past. With shipping and handling, a 5-6 foot tree runs me around $106. If I go the nursery route, it would probably be a generic river birch or white barked himalayan birch for about $220. These trees would be real trees, around 15 feet tall, while the sticks from FF won't look like trees for awhile. Any advice on these trees? Are clumps or single trees a better approach?

Let me also mention the situation just for fun. Last October, a 100 foot plus Norway maple street tree was taken down by the city due to losing a limb in a windstorm. While the limb didn't fall on my property, they dumped the tree square on my land, ripping my European Hornbeam tree in half and also badly damaging a Forest Pansy Redbud. When the dust settled, the right side of my property became a disaster area. I managed to get a pittance back from the city, and have my work cut out for me now. On a positive note, I now have more sun for whatever I plant.

Thanks for your advice!

Comments (5)