SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
echinaceamaniac

Headsup About White Flower Farm Reviews

echinaceamaniac
14 years ago

White Flower Farm censors negative reviews of plants they sell. If you go to their site and base your purchase on these reviews you should be aware that they are not giving you all the information.

They currently have only 1 review of Echinacea Tiki Torch. It is a 5 star review. I wrote a review of it and gave the info that it was not reliable in the garden. I said I planted 4 and only 1 over-wintered. That review is nowhere to be found! I am including the link below. See if you can post a review. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Echinacea Tiki Torch

Comments (37)

• torajima
    14 years ago

When did you post the review? On many sites, comments have to be approved before they appear. This is generally done to keep inappropriate content off the site, not to stop bad reviews.

If you look around a bit, you will see some 1 star reviews.

• mutantplantlover
    14 years ago

Maybe it's another conspiracy involving the nursery business deliberately producing and selling Echinaceas that are doomed to die after they get our money. They are aware of the fact that you know about the conspiracy and are censoring your review. (Give us a break, already!)

• Related Discussions

White Flower Farm Open House

Q

Comments (4)
    We went to the open house and had a very nice time touring the grounds, even though it was swelteringly hot that day! The thing that impressed me most was the greenhouse full of tuberous begonias with HUGE flowers in the most brilliant colors. I lived in Washington State briefly long ago, and first saw them there where they flourish in the cool, moist air and are grown as bedding plants. as for White Flower Farm, I'm glad i went, but it WAS quite a hike from Orange County, and i'm not sure i'd do it again. They had big boxes of lots of bare root perennials for $1 each, mostly lilies. Shrubs were 30% off i believe, and perrenials, too. After enjoying their catalog for nearly 20 years, it was fun to see the place. Since i already have things sitting in pots waiting to be planted, i was good and didn't buy anything ;o) amazing!
    ...See More

white flower farm sale ??

Q

Comments (10)
    Oh gosh, I don't know that I'd drive 3-4 hours just for this, particularly given how fast stuff goes (and how variable the stock is). Plus a lot of the best stuff is gone by Saturday (at least that was true when they had the bare root stuff -- one year I went both Friday and Saturday, and what was left on Saturday morning was a fraction of what had been there when they opened at 9 am Friday). You also won't know exactly what from their catalog will be available (so I wouldn't make the trip if you've got your heart set on finding a particular item since there's no guarantee it will be there -- last year, just as a sample, they had the iron garden armillaries, garden hats, gloves, lots of planters, tools (I got a great English-made transplanting shovel which was still $30 but a lot less than the regular price). They do also bring in stuff just for this sale, sometimes completely random (seeming) like Telicherry peppercorns and (last year) Stonewall Kitchens jams and mustards. So it's kind of a crapshoot each year -- a fun crapshoot, but a crapshoot nonetheless. If you go at any time other than 8:45 am, be prepared to park a half mile down the road and WALK to WFF. A plus, of course, is that you get to walk through their beautiful display gardens. And all shrubs are usually 30 percent off for the whole weekend. Can't recall pricing on other plant materials in the greenhouses but I think it's on sale, too.
    ...See More

White Flower Farm peonies

Q

Comments (6)
    Thanks kousa and Liz...I haven't done anything yet--was hoping WFF might toss a coupon out or something. I'll check out Charmarron. I don't mind smaller roots, just trying to keep the 'extra' peony purchases a bit more affordable since I have already ordered 20 for this year.
    ...See More

Does White Flower Farm do big sales?

Q

Comments (21)
    My late beloved mother in law always used to get me WFF gift certificates. So I'd get plants from them, but the quality was really poor for the price. I don't understand how they get away with it. They do have one hydrangea that I'm tempted by, Blue Billow, but I plan to resist the temptation - don't want to spend my $ there. The only thing I got from them that really did well was "The Works" daffodils. I have to say, they are utterly stunning and have thrived. But everything else was a real disappointment. I hope your hydrangea is ok - my advice would be maybe pot it up and grow it on for a while til it puts on some size (its likely to be very small). Good luck!
    ...See More
  • echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

mutantplantlover,

I never thought about that but now that you mentioned it. I can see why they wouldn't want people to know though.

• mutantplantlover
    14 years ago

maniac,

You totally missed the sarcasm. But then again that doesn't surprise me.

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

mutantplantlover,

You missed it! I was being sarcastic. Trying to paint this as some conspiracy theory is rather funny too. Let me guess...You sell plants too.

• mutantplantlover
    14 years ago

Of course I'm not a seller. But in your world I guess everyone who points out your bizarre "conspiracies" about echinaceas is considered one. Have a good life. Get some help. And learn how to grow echs.

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You won't silence me with your insults. Are you 12?

• PRO
    Kaveh Maguire Garden Design
    14 years ago

It is just getting to be a bit old at this point. Can't you confine it all to one thread?

• mayhem69
    14 years ago

Echimaniac, i believe this site will not post your negative review of Tiki Torch. It is all about the $$ today, they don't want to hurt their sales. That's why our economy is so bad right now, cause of too many GREEDY people in the USA. Greed is killing our country! Please don't forget about the seeds Echimaniac.

• kowalleka
    14 years ago

Let's all be civil here. If you don't like what echimaniac posts, then don't read his threads. I get more perturbed over the nasty replies to his comments than to what he is saying. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions so don't be so negative just because you don't agree.

These forums are supposed to be for sharing not putting people down because they don't agree with you.

• mayhem69
    14 years ago

here is an experimental picture of a Magnus that i bought today for $8.99, it's loaded with about 20 blooms. On the left is a white swan that i bought for $4.99

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:218407}}

• pauline13
    14 years ago

Echinaceamaniac is a he? I have no idea why, but I assumed he was a she. So, I guess that means that the picture I had of her/him in my mind is totally inaccurate. Back to the drawing board!

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    14 years ago

I thought she was a he...

• kowalleka
    14 years ago

I don't know if she's a he or he's a she. Just didn't feel like writing his/her. Guess I should have been more politically correct. . .

• stephanie_kay
    14 years ago

Echinaceamaniac,
    I agree a company will not post negative feed back, that is not what they are out there for. But there are other places you can post negative feedback that does get seen and one place is through Daves Garden 'Watchdog'.

Mayham69, what a great deal. It looks good.

Stephanie Kay

Here is a link that might be useful: Scoop on White Fence Farm

• sushi_deluxe
    14 years ago

Just out of curiousity, did your review simply say that the plants had not overwintered successfully in your yard, or did you share your opinion about the company and its corporate greed, etc? Because if it was the latter, I can see why it might have been censored.

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just said the plant has a nice bloom color but it doesn't over-winter well. I said it should be considered an expensive annual.

I didn't say anything negative about White Flower Farm but a person could write a negative book about that company. LOL.

• justmetoo
    14 years ago

Mayhem69. your small investment of your two plant purchase you pictured above will bring you back big rewards in long term joy and healthy happy plants for many years to come. They've been two of the echinacea that have weathered and thrived no matter what my wacky zone 5 upper midwest climate can toss at them.

• ilovedaisys
    14 years ago

Echinaceamaniac,

I disagree with your post. I just visited the WFF website and I did see your negative review on Tiki-Torch. I also noticed that they do post both positive and negative reviews on products. It takes a few days for the review to show up, below is the message I received after reviewing a perennial:

"If you wish to make changes, click the appropriate Edit button below. If everything is correct, click the Submit button to continue. Please note that the approved reviews may take 3-5 business days to appear on the site"

Back to the garden....

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yeah. They posted it finally.

They did edit it though so it's not exactly what I wrote but I'm happy that they posted it finally. I would delete this topic but don't know how.

• mutantplantlover
    14 years ago

So much for your conspiracy theory ...

• pauline13
    14 years ago

Some people just have to get in that last jab!

• triciae
    14 years ago

I shop at White Flower Farms regularly. In fact, their annual June Open House with cucumber sandwiches on the lawn is an event I always look forward to. They have the most spectacular begonia house! Oh, it's awesome!!

They are a quality company, in business in CT for over 50 years, family owned, practically an institution in New England & especially CT. I purchase from WFF mostly at their farm but I order all of my fall bulbs from them because even though they are pricier...the quality is so much better than what I've received elsewhere that I return year after year to WFF for bulbs.

They also have a great horticultural hot-line. If you're having trouble with echinaceas overwintering...may I suggest you give them a call & speak with their horticultural manager. If, in a civil manner, you explain you're having problems wintering some of the newer ones...maybe, they'll have some useful thoughts and/or experiences to share. They are also gardeners.

I have to say it irks me to see this fine company being slandered on this thread...probably by people who've never been there in their life nor even spoken with management?! There are many reasons plants fail to survive or thrive...not always due to corporate greed.

WFF wants your repeat business. They know & understand they have to earn your respect. These are not fly-by-night people. They are long time experienced gardeners with a family reputation to protect. Why don't you try working with them instead of just flying off the handle? Maybe, speak with them about trialing some of the newer echinaceas that you love? Your experiences, in your zone/garden, might be of help to them. And, if you ever get the chance...visit WFF. You'll not regret the trip. People drive from states all over the country for their June Open House...and the sandwiches are fun!

/tricia (who does not work for WFF but has been a satisfied customer for over 20 years)

• rusty_blackhaw
    14 years ago

triciae will probably want to contact all the non-fans of WFF posting on GardenWatchdog (negative and neutral reviews outnumber positive ones) to complain about their "slander".

My experience with WFF is confined to once having ordered a gift amaryllis for someone (it apparently did OK). Their catalog is helpful in compiing a wish list of plants to grow, though I know that everything in it can be found for much less $$ elsewhere (if not now, in the near future). I have never experienced their cucumber sandwiches, but have no reason to believe they are not the best cucumber sandwiches to be found in CT, and if not I'm sure they'd work with me to improve them. ;)

• Nevermore44 - 6a
    14 years ago

You always have to curve what you read and take into consideration with all "review" sites, lists or whatever... that people are always much more apt to write in and go out of their way to complain about a product or service vs complimenting or send a positive experience. (and when i say complain.. i don't mean that in a negative way)

Forums might curve it a bit back, since people are going to read a negative review and might feel the need to respond with their positive experiences.. as in this thread. But those same people most likely wouldn't have starts a new thread and say... i bought a plant from WWF and it lived and did what i expected it to do.

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm sure I'd like them better and spend double what most places charge if they stuffed my face with sandwiches too.

• ladywindsurfer
    14 years ago

Like many mail-order nurseries that maintain elaborate gardens for visitors and pristine plants for onsite purchases, what they send to their catalog and online customers, often bears little or no resemblance to that which is available locally.
    During my last experience with WFF, and I do mean my last, I ordered 3 expensive Oakleaf Hydrangeas, one gallon size.
    What I received was 3 one-gallon pots, filled with potting mix and a 3-4 inch dead stick protruding from the mix. There were no roots on the sticks, nor was there any evidence there had been any. What they were selling, was a rooted cutting, as a one gallon plant, but the cuttings had failed to root!
    When I asked for replacements, with live foliage, I was informed that they had none! All of their stock looked like the ones I had received!
    My confidence in WFF as a reliable nursery, rapidly went south, off the map!
    Cucumbers also give me heartburn!

• User
    14 years ago

I agree that many places with a brick and mortar store AND online shopping don't sell the best plants to the online shoppers. Plus, in my book, any nursery who offers a $25 free coupon is off limits.

I mostly stick with Bluestone. Yes, their plants are small, but if you have any problems, they stand by their stock. You just need to have a little more patience but you get a good product.

• triciae
    14 years ago

In your zeal to be angry & sarcastic, you've missed my point about the sandwiches. I was trying to say that it's a fun event and people from all around the US look forward to it annually. WFF lives/dies by their reputation. Competition for plant sales is fierce.

I make no apologies for supporting WFF. I have 20+ years of experience with this company. I feel confident in my assessment that they will do all that is possible to correct a customer complaint. But, as all of us know who have businesses that deal with the public...some people can't be pleased no matter what you do, or say. That's life. And yes, I believe some people are more inclinced to complain than compliment. For example, when was the last time you took five minutes from your day & phoned management at the restaurant that served you a good meal with good service, & at fair price to give a compliment? If you have a problem plant from WFF, or any other company, by all means call & get it corrected. Yes, WFF's plants are small...so are Bluestone Perennials'. If you want a bit larger plants...try Plant Delights. They are also an excellent company with vast experience...way more than any of us. I was fortunate to attend a horticultural lecture on hostas by Tony Advent a couple years ago. If you have a chance...I highly recommend paying the price of admittance to one of his lectures. I'm trying to say that there are people behind these companies. Those people want you to be a satisfied customer.

/t

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

triciae,

I'm glad you like White Flower Farm.

If they want many of their customers back; however, they are either going to have to lower their prices to a remotely decent price or send gallon-pot size plants. If you pay 21 dollars for one Echinacea plant, it shouldn't be smaller than a gallon.

Plant Delights is also very expensive. There are much better sources for plants. Just because someone gives good lectures doesn't mean I have to let him gouge me with his prices.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    14 years ago

To many people, there is more to purchasing an item, whatever said item may be, than just price. If one is happy purchasing plants from a particular vendor, let them enjoy it and leave it at that. If the purchaser is happy, no matter the price paid, that is all that is important to said purchaser. If another person chooses not to purchase from said vendor because of price, or prior negative experience, or whatever reason, that's fine too. It's also fine to post an honest negative opinion, many folks find that helpful or insightful as to why one chooses not to support a particular establishment. It's when opinions start bordering into belittling others who choose to support said businesses that the problem (read: hurt feelings and atmosphere of negativity) begin.

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think White Flower Farm's price is bad and their tiny plants they send too for that high price.

• rusty_blackhaw
    14 years ago

nevermore44 said: "You always have to curve what you read and take into consideration with all "review" sites, lists or whatever... that people are always much more apt to write in and go out of their way to complain about a product or service vs complimenting or send a positive experience."

Not so. According to GardenWatchdog:

"Since 1994, 3,573 companies have been reviewed in the Garden Watchdog, and 49,425 comments have been posted (34,960 positive, 5,582 neutral, 8,883 negative) by 25,723 customers."

So positive reviews outnumber negative ones by close to a 4:1 margin. My own reviews of various companies are tilted even more towards positive.

My point was that loyalty towards a particular company shouldn't lead to the assumption that those who've had bad experiences are either unreasonable or are inferior gardeners. I've given good reviews to firms with bad overall ratings, and in those instances I think I dodged a bullet.
    There are a number of successful mail-order gardening outfits with whom I will not do business based on online reports and reviews. I tend to view fellow gardeners as a pretty trustworthy bunch.

• marilenav1
    14 years ago

Many years ago, White Flower Farm sent plants to Canada. I ordered from them on two occasions and the plants were fine. I have visited WFF on one occasion and it is a beautiful place with excellent customer service.

I agree that it seems far too expensive to pay $ 21.00 an Echinacea. However, to expect to pay less than that for an Echinacea Tiki Torch, Tomato Soup, or Mac 'n Cheese in a 1 gallon pot is unreasonable.

As a grower who has lost thousands of the new Echinacea hybrids (they died because they are weak plants), I can tell you that most of the orange or red hybrids are slow growing and it would take at least three months before the plants fill the pot. Most wholesale growers in Canada sell the plants for $12.50 in a 1 gallon pot. The retailers usually double or triple the price.

The reason that these Echinaceas exist is because consumers want them. People are suckers for a good picture and most consumers never even take the time to investigate the plant's requirements.

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mary - I got a gallon-sized Meringue Echinacea at Lowes for 12 dollars. I got my new Echinacea "Tiki Torch" a few weeks ago for 12 dollars at my local nursery. It looks like a quart-size.

White Flower Farm doesn't send them in gallon pots. They charge 21 dollars for very small 3-inch potted Echinaceas. That is OUTRAGEOUS!

• ngam
    14 years ago

I can only go by ny own experience with a company. I always order a few plants from WFF. They are a bit expensive compared to other companies in other parts of the country. I have always had good results with their plants. Case in point the Tiki Torch that is in it's second season and has now doubled in size and at last count had a dozen buds. It arrived last spring in a deep 3-4 inch pot. The root system filled the entire pot when I planted it. The deep pot is key to the survival of these new echies in promoting a good root system I think. I like to order plants from places with the same weather conditions as mine and not too far for shipping. You must keep in mind different parts of the country have higher or lower costs of doing business due to the local cost of living. My theory is every company gets a second chance to do a good job but not a third.

• marilenav1
    14 years ago

I have to agree with you echinaceamaniac, $21.00 for a 3" pot is outrageous.

To grow a red or orange Echinacea from a 72 plug cell to a quart size pot (4.5" pot) takes about half the time than to grow it to a gallon size. The price of $ 12.00 seems about right.

Echinacea Meringue is not as an expensive plant to purchase as E. Tiki Torch and is far easier to grow. E. Meringue fills a 1 gallon pot in about 5 weeks. Having grown the plant, I am convinced it is robust. This is not the case with any of the orange or red hybrids. The orange/red hybrids have alot of Echinacea paradoxa parentage.

Although some people have no trouble growing E. paradoxa well, many people do as it is exacting in it's growth requirements and it is not as cold hardy as E. purpurea.