SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
philothea_gw

Re-starting half-prepared beds (lots of clay & compost)

philothea
14 years ago

Hi all,

As a result of running off on vacation before putting my plants in, I figure I have a few days to really do up my beds right.

What I did was to rototill what had been hard clay soil with grass (some rhyzomal) and weeds covering it, and adding in about 1/6th as much compost (because last year when I did lasagna gardening, I used straight compost and that did not work well for the plants).

So now I have that, and I was thinking, maybe before I put my plants in I should do whatever more I can do to improve it. For example, bringing in some more compost (I can get massive amounts of this stuff).

And/or trying to get something like old hay or straw **in addition to** the compost? And would the old hay or straw clutter up my rototiller the way the grass does :( ?

I also had this idea which seemed like might be totally crazy, which would be to move all the tilled dirt to one side, and then till in the emptied area again so the tilled part would be deeper (this is serious clay here, which is why I was thinking of doing that).

I guess if I add in enough compost, I wouldn't have to return so much of the original soil back, right? Because if there is some extra, I could put it in the areas which become puddles when it rains :)

And is there anything else I could do to improve it very quickly?

Thanks for any advice :D

Comments (4)