SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nhdougsimmons

Sabre started - ran for an hour now won't start

nhdougsimmons
15 years ago

Its a Kohler Command 21. My neighbor used it for the first time this year, started it up without incident and (after filling the perpetually flat rear tires)rode it over to his house and did his lawn. However, when he returned it he said he thought the seat ignition kill switch was "gummed up".

Well it will not start. Period. Checked continuity across the pressure switch in the seat, looks good (though it seems oppposite of what I expected -switch up continuity, switch down no continuity.) Battery is fine. A multimeter across the terminals shows 12.6 volts. There is no clicking noise or anything when the key is turned. I tried to check the terminals at the starter solenoid with a meter but it is a cheap digital meter, auto ranging and I can't make any sense of it. When it touch positive at solenoid and chassis ground it begins to show millivolts and keeps showing ascending values (slowly) whether the ignition is in start position or not.

I suspect the starter solenoid or relay but I would like to know how to pinpoint the problem. Any thoughts?

I'll be breaking out the push mower before I load the beast in to the Econoline and haul it to the $60/hour place so I guess it's not urgent. But I sure would like to get this going before the pasture grows up much more.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
More Discussions