SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linrose_gw

Quiz for the day - what is a purple rose? (with photos)

linrose
15 years ago

There are always lots of questions about purple roses on these forums, and I for one am always looking for the most purple rose I can find. I thought it would be informative, and entertaining, to compare some of the "purple" roses out there. I plucked a few blooms this morning of some of the roses I have and put them on my scanner to compare. Unfortunately I don't have some of the ones reputed to be purple, like Midnight Blue (which I need to get), and others, but I have had Ebb Tide and Wild Blue Yonder, which have since perished (my fault.) I also have Veichenblau and Sweet Chariot, which haven't bloomed yet this year.

All of this was sparked by discussing Reine des Violettes as purple, and I can tell you, in my opinion it is nothing more than magenta. The closest I have gotten to a true BLUE purple, like a royal purple, is Night Owl. I'm really liking this rose right now. If I could get it in a shrub form I'd be a happy camper.

OK, so here is the quiz. Here are the six roses I cut this morning. See if you can guess which is which. To make it easier I'll give you their names, you just have to put them in order. Have fun!

The roses are Night Owl, Reine des Violettes, Rotesmeer, Great Western, Maggie, and Knockout (OK so I gave you a freebie, for comparison!).

{{gwi:264771}}

Comments (19)