SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katrina1_gw

Shumard Oak trees pruned drastically, hope they survive

katrina1
16 years ago

Several months ago our ground did not freeze more than a couple inches deep if even that.

During this icing event at one point or another, many of the US South Central plains states and the Southeastern states trees suffered greatly due to a winter storm which lasted at least 4 days when during off and on periods of time light rain fell for extended times which would freeze on contact with the trees, other vegetation, and powerlines.

During that time my Shumard oaks had a lot of what appeared to be dead leaves which the tree had not pushed off. Thus even though only about an 1/2 to one inch of ice accumulated on the tree branches and twigs, much more accumulated on those still attached dead leaves.

My Shumards Oaks were only about 25 feet tall, and still had fairly thin branches in most of the trees canopy.

The trunks of these oaks are only about 9 inches across in diameter, so even though they are slightly over 20 years in age, they are still relatively young compared to the potential lifespan these oaks could normally survive.

There was so much damage of broken branches, that just over half of each tree's canopy had to be pruned away.

the majority of broken branches on one of the oaks had to be cut all the back to main leader trunk. This tree ended up looking fairly well balanced, but still very thin canopied

The other oak had received alot more runoff water over the years it has been growing in its current spot. During that period I did not monitor it well enough to prevent it from producing a modified leader trunk, which began only about 8 feet up. On this tree the most directly straight up modified leader trunk and its off shooting branches did not suffer any ice damage.

The other modified leader though had massive ice damage to both its off shoot branches and near the top of its leader trunk. The damage was so extensive to that modified leader that it and all its branches had to be removed.

Just above the branch collar of this removed modifed leader the cut surface and exposed wood is about 7 inches in diameter.

After such pruning, the modifed leader oak is now a single leader tree, that appear as if the entire east side of its canopy has been removed.

I know that trees are never supposed to pruned in a manner which removes more than 1/3rd if their canopy.

Am I justified in being concerned that my trees could die from each loosing an entire 1/2 of their canopy.

The arborist in charge of pruning these trees expressed his concern that the trees might die from loosing so much canopy, and he told me to keep them well watered in the summer, along with adding root feeding fertilizer to them periodically. After all the cut limbs and all twigs were removed, the arborist, injected root feeding ferilizer into the root system beneath and slightly beyond where the canopy of these trees used to cover.

Are there other things I can do to give these trees a higher change for surviving until they can adjust and produce enough new branches that will leaf well enough to feed their root systems? Or am I foolish to have not requested for the arborist to cut both of these trees down?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES