SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quasifish

white ash, shallow roots, hope for lawn?

quasifish
16 years ago

Not sure if I should post this here or at the lawn forum:

I have a white ash (I believe) in my front yard. It has terribly shallow roots that are preventing the lawn from growing around the tree. We have only owned the house a couple of years and as far as I can recall only clover or similar ground covers have ever survived there.

I do know for fact that the house and yard were very poorly cared for from the time the house was built 18 years ago. This tree probably never had a chance to get well established and I suspect that's why the roots grow the way they do. All the houses on our street have the same type of ash tree in the yard, and all the others have luxurious grass growing around the base (it's a little embarrassing to have the bald yard).

Is there anything that can be done about the problem? Or what is the best way to manage it from here? I understand that the roots should not be pruned, and top dressing should only be done lightly so as not to harm the tree by smothering the roots?

Will encouraging deep root growth at this point discourage additional surface growth? Or is that this tree's trained growth pattern? Can anything be done about the existing surface roots? I assume those are here to stay?

I'd appreciate any ideas or advice on the subject. Trees are by far not an area of expertise for me. At this point I'm wondering if the best bet is to carve away all the greenery nearby and make a bare, but clean and nice looking bed around the tree.

Thanks

Comment (1)