SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

My compost bin is smelling, what can I do with it?

My poor neighbors, they haven't complained about my com*post bin in all the years I've had it but I've never given them something to complain about either. Although one neighbor gave me a hard time because my bags of dry leaves were too close to their yard and they hated the smell.

This week, I noticed some smell in the yard and it took me awhile to figure out what it was. We usually only com*post leaves and yard waste but we do have two plastic bins with covers and last year we started saving kit*chen scraps to add to it. I don't remember what I did last year, but I didn't have any odor. This year, all I have is leaves in a bin. So I layered a good 6 inches of leaves on the bottom, put the scraps in the middle and then layered it over with another 6 inches of leaves and covered it. I don't have any extra dirt laying around to keep layering that over the scraps. Is that what my problem is? Is there any other way to keep the pile odor free? And how can I fix it now that the scraps are all mixed in with the leaves and I'm not sure I will even be able to see all of them.

Oh, and we don't turn the piles, bad back.

Comments (10)