SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sammy_gw

Ice storm damage to teas and chinas

sammy zone 7 Tulsa
15 years ago

I have too many roses to take care of properly, so I delay what I can. We had an ice storm in December that took out our power for 5 days (Others lost theirs for up to 9 days, so we were lucky.) The trees and limbs actually broke. We would hear them during the night when large branches came crashing down. I don't need to say much more here to make my point.

In the back of our property near the trees that broke are Cramoisi Superieur, Monsieur Tillier, Duchesse de Brabant, and Lady Hillingdon. The first three suffered damage close to the ground. They have good canes that are fine, but the plants look lopsided. Few people really come to visit my garden, so I want to make repairs where it is best for the rose.

At this time of year in Oklahoma, is it unwise to prune back one of these roses? Should I just prune out what needs to come out, then leave well enough alone, or should I cut it way back in hopes of a balance?

For future reference, I would like to see some of your structures and support systems for roses like this.

I would take pictures and post them, but I really need to get back outside.

I have the same question about my 4 Martha Gonzalez in the front. They were "victimized" when we tried to cut up, bag up, and prepare for the trash pick up of the others. They too have a great deal of breakage.

Sammy

Comments (7)