SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sorka_gw

Help with tree layout for privacy border

sorka
16 years ago

We live on a 1.2 acre lot. The lots behind us, to the south, are about to built on. We'd like to add trees to create some privacy. We'd like to use Thuja GG mixed with some other sort of tree. Don't really yet know what other tree to use. Leyland's are pretty much out because they don't last long here in the Central Valley of California(Merced). And if they do, they're mature height is taller than I'd like them to be.

The photo below is an areal of my property. The red line on the bottom marks the boundery of a county drainage easment which spans 15 feet wide. The county has said I can't plant inside the easement anything that would keep them from getting equipment in there, but it's OK if branches cross the boundery.

The green line is roughly the areas that I want to plant privacy screening.

I plant to create new flower beds for the trees covering about 6000 square feet. I don't want growing grass anywhere near the trees. The length will be covered with heavy duty woven fabric, a drip line, and pebble bark mulch.

I don't want to do a uniform single row of trees because if one dies, it won't look right. But even playing around with 2 staggered rows isn't really getting the effect I want. I'm convinced that I need some sort of uniform but randomized scattered effect but I need to it narrow, especially near the lower right corner of the house which is only about 40 feet from the easment line.

Here's the areal. There's a link below it for the full sized version:

{{gwi:16221}}

http://alana.smugmug.com/photos/261966090_hA9aK-X3.jpg

This photo taken from lower left corner of areal:

{{gwi:16222}}

This photo taken from lower right corner of areal:

{{gwi:16223}}

This photo taken from bottom center of areal pointing north east(up and to the left from the areal):

{{gwi:16224}}

Any ideas for trees and layout would be appreciated. In addition to mixed plantings with the GG, I plan to buy about 15 specimen Aptos Blue Redwoods. Lowes has a crazy low price on them right now.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals