SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sara82lee

What to expect after treating black spot

sara82lee
9 years ago

I feel plagued by fungus :( Last year I had a hydrangea that got a bad case of cercospora that completely defoliated it for the remainder of the year. I feel like I have finally gotten a handle on that and have prevented it from returning this year (so far!), and the hydrangea looks very healthy again. However, after the cercospora it seemed fungus started popping up everywhere last year - from a very sturdy hawthorn to some annuals growing in pots. Ironically it seemed the healthiest plants were the most affected. This year I committed myself to do everything possible to fight back - and things are much better so far.

But I didn't anticipate issues with my roses. They were newly planted last year as bare roots. This year they seemed to come back strong and are currently covered in huge blooms! However, after some heavy rain, now all but one is covered with black spot. In some ways I feel like I know what to do to keep it from spreading, after learning how to handle the cercospora. . . as far as treating the bushes and cleaning things up, how to water, etc. But will the bushes lose all of their leaves? Should I really pick them all off? The largest two have spots on every leaf. If I remove all of the infected leaves, there won't be any left.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks