SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lushgarden77

The big question!! How often should I water my garden

Lushgarden77
10 years ago

Hi all.

I'm in desperate need of HELP! I have a newish garden which was finished at the end of the September.
Total land are is 645m2 - 200m2 for the house.
Total lawn area 165m2
Other spaces filled with stone and some plants.

The land was toiled, evened out and prepared with sand and compost before laying down the turf. Since the first week of December I noticed some patches appearing in the grass which I now have come to learn is a type of fungus. It is spreading fast and I'm worried that I am over watering the garden. I'm trying the cornmeal route before applying a herbicide as I would like to maintain the garden organically.
Our climate based in Chicureo, Santiago in Chie is pretty hot with summer temps of 30'C and winter temps don't drop below 12'C. Annual rainfall 356mm during winter.

Land type sand with a large quantity of clay minerals.

My irrigation system is set to come on every day at 12.00pm at night and 9am in the morning twice a day. The grass gets 5 minutes and the plants get 9min.

Lawn total watering times 10 minutes.
Plants watering times 18 minutes.

Now I've given the background (hang in there) I have the following questions:-

1. Should I be watering at a different time during the day
2. Should I be watering less frequently i.e. every other day or twice or three times a week.
3. How long should I water for.

I would love just to speak to a professional company here but just me on this they just don't exists no-one has a freaking clue what they're doing, no-one has studied. All the gardeners have no previous knowledge about gardens and comes in with their blunt mower blades and cut and chop as they wish.

I would really appreciate anyone who can take the time to help me determine when and how often I should be watering.

Thanks

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz