SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ohiorose

new member, new roses wilting, need help

ohiorose
13 years ago

hello all,

I'm excited to have found this board. I'm a new member and new to roses.

I'm from the midwestern United States (Ohio) and I just bought four baby potted roses from a nursery and only one seems to be thriving.

I just planted them on this past Saturday, and we have been having a heat wave.

The types of roses I planted are as follows:

the Ebb Tide,

The "Peace" Rose (bought two of those) and the

Ingrid Bergman.

All are supposed to be hardy roses, but only my purple Ebb Tide rose seems to be handling the heat.

I water them every day in the evening, and I was wondering how much water is too much?

I did end up trimming them back a bit, to focus energy on growing strong rather then producing blooms.

I have heard that it takes a month for the roses to establish the beginnings of a root system, especially for young roses like I purchased.

Because of that, I have been watering them every day when the sun is down.

When I planted them on Saturday, I used a special rose food that contained peat moss and potting soil. I made sure to plant them deep, because we have very harsh winters here, and cover them with mulch.

These plants are very, very young plants and their canes are only pencil thick.

Could it be a combination of the sun and being transplanted that is causing the wilt? Am I watering too much or too little? Should I feed them?

I wouldn't think I should feed them again. I don't want them to get fertilizer burn.

I made sure to plant them where they gets lots of nice sunshine.

How can I make sure that the soil is properly packed around the roses? When I planted them, I did shake them a bit to make sure that the soil got in the roots, and then I did pack that down around the rose (leaving the mound in the middle of course where the actual plant was).

Anyway, any help I get would be wonderful. I really want my roses to grow up to be large, healthy plants.

Comments (5)