SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dulahey

Converting Rainbird Sprinklers to Garden Irrigation?

dulahey
11 years ago

My wife and I recently purchased a house and I am busy on getting our raised vegetable garden beds built and ready to go for this spring.

The previous owners had a sprinkler system installed that covered the entire property. However, I do not want to use sprinklers on my vegetable garden. My original idea was to build my own irrigation system out of PVC pipe, but since there are sprinklers everywhere, I figure I can just convert one of the zones into a drip/emitter irrigation system.

The zone in question is a straight line of 14 different model 1800 sprayers against my north fence. They are spaced about 10 feet apart. I plan on building 16'x4' raised beds and so each bed could be watered by two of the current 1800 sprayers.

I've done a little bit of research and it seems I can buy a converter that goes into the existing sprayer that just creates a 1/4" male plug that you can then attack tubing to. Then place emitters on the tubing.

Does anyone have any experience/tips/suggestions about this process? Am I heading down a road of frustration? I have no experience with Rainbird products. Does the tubing not last very long? I assume it's best to keep the tubing covered with mulch to make it last longer? Are the emitters terrible?

If I do it this way each existing sprayer head will be converted to water a 8'x4' densely planted area. I'm assuming it could handle this?

Any advice is greatly welcomed. Thanks!

This post was edited by Dulahey on Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 12:50

Comments (5)