SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

Harlow Carr - Not a Hot Weather Rose

I love the blooms on this rose but wish I had known about the Austin catalag entry that puts it in the category of roses that do well in cold climates. I said good-bye to it today and wanted to mention why so that others in hot, dry climates won't make the same mistake. (I really don't know how it would do in a hot, humid situation). Harlow Carr had a beautiful flush in the spring but even then the individual roses were rather short lived, and VERY short-lived if it was a warmer than usual day. Also a habit I didn't care for was that almost every rose on the bush opened at the same time and after the brief show there was nothing until the time that the rose put on new growth again. I much prefer an almost constant bloomer like Wife of Bath who is putting out new growth while there are blooms on the rose. During the summer it pretty well shut down completely no matter how much I watered. Just another learning experience, but if this information is useful to someone else all will not have been lost.

Ingrid

Comments (22)