SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
treeinnj

shredder recommendations

treeinnj
16 years ago

Because I need to compost in a 33 gal bin, I have, by experience, come to realize that I either don't have the time and/or can't shred my paper & pressed-board items small enough for my compost to break it down well or effectively. Also, when I tear it, it all seems to mush together into a big ball (despite my best efforts of "mixing") - and I'm hoping that the mechanically shredded strips keeps more "air" & stays more "separated."

I would really really like to keep as much of my paper & pressed board trash out of the landfill - so that's my goal here. And, since my compost bin can't absorb tons of this material, I am happy to keep & store it for future compost additions, etc.

(I do have tons of leaves in NW NJ, but again, I am mixing both in b/c I want to keep the paper/board products o/o/landfill.)

I've seen other posters here reference that they have one or more shredders. Having worked in offices for the last 20+ years, I've never found a satisfactory shredder.

So, to those of you who have shredders, would you kindly recommend some makes/models? I'm looking for one for paper (lots of papers from daughter's school work that eventually gets tossed, as well as scrap paper, and junk mail, and a few weekly free newspapers), and pressed board (kleenex, cereal boxes). And, I'm looking for a durable one - so, if you have experience, would you tell me how often you've had to replace yours? Thanks!

All the Best, Tree

Comments (2)