SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bunnicula03

Oh no! Voles! And an intro...

bunnicula03
9 years ago

Hello all! I've been mostly a lurker on this forum, due to forgetting my password a few years back, and being too lazy to retrieve it. Mostly I've just read the posts, admired the lovely rose pictures, and searched for any info I've needed. Two years ago I started replanting the rose beds I built 30 years ago, when my house and I were young. . Last year I went all-out gung-ho for roses again. I was so surprised to see many of the rose nurseries that I thought would be around forever were gone - especially the minis. Local nurseries were extremely limited in what they were carrying (Knock Out, anyone?), so I tried several of the mail order sources for the varieties I wanted. I still had a few old favorite roses around, but there were soooo many gorgeous new varieties, and mini floras, new to me. And of course the lovely rose photos posted here encouraged me to try some new things. My ordering zeal resulted in a pot ghetto, til I could decide where I wanted to plant some of them (or could find room).

This was an unusually long, cold, strange winter this year, even in coastal NJ. Like many of you, I worried that most of my roses looked dead. To my great surprise, most of them have sprung back and are growing nicely, or at least growing. I did lose a few, and after taking inventory on them I placed two (um no, more like four) more orders - looks like there will be no reduction in the size of my pot ghetto, lol.

But now one of my nicely-growing-back roses, Paris de Yves St Laurent, which had four nice size growing canes on it, started showing withering of all the new growth on the right cane. A few days later, the left cane showed the same thing. The center two canes are still fine. I remembered posts here about withering growth, looked them up, and the mention of voles struck home. I do have what I assumed to be mole tunnels in this rose bed, I've caught at least 10 creatures I assumed to be mice in my house with sticky traps, and after researching them I have VOLES... quickly reproducing, rose root eating voles! As if dealing with black spot here in coastal NJ wasn't bad enough...sigh...

What is the best way I can deal with these monsters?

Comments (9)