SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
djw479

Gator blades or mulching kit? & other ???s

djw479
17 years ago

A little background: After five years of renting bush mowers & stumpgrinders, removing larger ground stones, filling small low spots, and destroying two decks mowing on a Craftsman 30" RER to reclaim the four open areas and many connecting walking paths; I have a fairly mowable place.

Much of the 4+ acres is heavy-wooded that I am leaving au naturale. The soil in northern Wisconsin (Lake Nokomis area) is mostly sand. I mow approximately 1.25 acres and most of the soil is totally leached of any nutrients. I am hoping that I can use the grass clipping (and fall leaves) to help "revive" the soil/grass rather than resorting to spreading a layer of new topsoil or fertilize often(much of the land drains into abutting lake). This is a vacation spot so I do not need a spotless lawn or spend hours on lawn maintenance...just trying to get the grass thicker and healthy.

I recently purchased a 2007 Regent 18HP/38" deck. Currently the deck/blades are standard-issue side discharge type.

I was initally leaning towards trying Simplicity's mulch/shredder kit (yikes...$140-ish) but I am interested in the gator blades I read about so often. I think I understand the Simplicity kit includes different blades, baffle, and closes the side discharge chute to aid mulching function verse the gator blades just more finely chopping the clipping.

What else am I missing when making this decision? Does anyone have experience with either/both of these that can helping my learning curve? Any other ideas?

IF I do decide to spread topsoil, is there any pull-behind device that would disperse new soil evenly? I have Bombardier Traxter/ATV that can pull 1200 lbs...if I have to resort to this task. I also have a 60" plow for ATV, but the idea of trying to evenly spread topsoil across this undulating terrain seems tedious at best; there are many trees, boulder gardens, and even horseshoe pits to navigate around.

Sorry for the rambling but I am reviving this vacation property on weekends after 20 years of prior-owner neglect. Many a friend has stated I should just hire a landscaper to get it done(big $$$ I do not have and I like the sweat-equity idea), but I sure would like to get on the lake a little bit this year!

Signed, I love the northwoods but am getting all worn-out rehabbing this property!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer
More Discussions