SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Favorite David Austin roses...by fragrance and visual appeal

lavender_lass
13 years ago

I'm thinking of trying some David Austins in the fragrance garden I'm planning. I'd like to know your three favorites, first based purely on visual appeal. I'd also like you to list your three favorites, based on fragrance only. Pictures are always helpful :)

I have plenty of room in this garden and I am planning to have some albas and other OGR's in it as well, but would like to try a few DAs. If you'd also like to add a suggestion for an alba or other OGR, that would be great. Thanks in advance!

Comments (67)

• bebble
    13 years ago

A few yrs back before I moved I had a few - Jude the Obscure was the strongest I've ever smelt of all the ones at Chamblee's

It was actually the only one that taught my sis to take peoples warnings no matter how odd they sound! If your told to be careful due to strong scent DO NOT bury your nose in the center and almost suck the flower up your nose!!! You'll end up w/ the smelling version of "brain freeze" when you eat too much ice cream, lol!

Sadly - only had that one for a yr before moving but it did seem to bloom a little less - always loved the color and form when it did, so very delicate. :) It will be in this new yard ... think pink grapefruit 10x in scent

• jumbojimmy
    13 years ago

'Evelyn' - for Visual appeal. The first flush was absolutely beautiful and rich in apricot/peach colour. However, during the hotter days of summer, the blooms were kind of so-so and not much colour in it. The fragrance is good but not as strong compare to JtO or GJ. I need to inhale Evelyn blooms in order to smell it.

{{gwi:262546}}
    For fragrance - 'gertrude Jekyll'. When I inhale this rose deeply, it smells like my old smelly socks! But, if I sniff it gently, the scent is like old rose fragrance. Sometimes it smells like lychees. Things I don't like about GJ - it's growth habit and how it produces fewer blooms. GJ is not a graceful looking rose.

There's not much variety in DA roses when it comes to fragrance. GThomas, Trolius and Jayne Austin practically smell the same to my nose.

• Related Discussions

David Austin's Supplementary List

Q

Comments (58)
    I am very surprised by a few things here, first of all in my garden Heritage & Pat Austin are both very healthy & constantly in bloom, compared to a few other Austin's they are better by leaps and bounds (CPM, crocus, jude, I'm looking at you). Also, I always hear people talking about Crocus rose being so healthy for them, yet for me it is always the first rose (Austin or non austin) to get blackspot, and definitely the first to completely defoliate, usually by early June it is naked & looks horrid amongst my other happily blooming roses. I was hoping it would grow out of it, I really wanted to put it on the ground this year, it has been in a very large pot for 2 1/2 years, but it ALREADY has blackspot here in early april, so I think I may be removing it soon, I don't know if it would be any better in the ground, but I don't want to go though all the trouble of planting it if it is going to completely defoliate every year, I have too limited space to deal with that. Roseseek, that is a very interesting observation and it definitely makes sense, nature is often so surprisingly purposeful in its actions. Too bad some of the new, human made cultivars can't take a hint & hold off on the blackspot until late summer! Jessica
    ...See More

The Austin appeal....no doubt about it!

Q

Comments (60)
    See, Diane's pictures are one of the reasons why I haven't yet given up on Austins. If I could get mine to do anything like that just once a year...It might not be possible; I know I spread my resources very, very thinly : short on water, soil never cultivated before I arrived,etc.
    ...See More

David Austin: the Leander Group

Q

Comments (38)
    @ann beck 8a ruralish WA That is really interesting about the high cold tolerance being a sign of possible heat resistance! I will be able to test that out with some of the ones I planted this year, especially the rugosa hybrids and Comte de Chambord, both of which supposedly to do very well in Scandinavia. I did only a light pruning this season, our heavier pruning season is in September right after the worst of the heat. When I prune Wild Edric in September I will try rooting the cuttings, but I must admit that rooting cuttings is not my strong suit! I keep trying though! I am currently trying to root little bits of Comte as well as Autumn Damask that I clipped off when I planted the bare roots. I will try with Wild Edric in September and will definitely post if successful! You are lucky to be in a mild climate! It seems to me that zone 8 is really the goldilocks zone for growing roses, where they get some real winter but not too extreme, and a long enough growing season, with warm but not deadly hot summers. I hope your roses will do fantastic this year!
    ...See More

Let's talk about David Austin's Dannahue

Q

Comments (71)
    @Sharon z8b Texas A rather red face here too! No, I am not a professional writer, having just retired last year at 72 as a Clinical Instructor/Lecturer at a UK University. I have a manuscript of a book I wrote some 25 years ago on the historical and scientific aspects of Rose Oil (Old Rose Damask Fragrance primarily, entitled "The World of Attar of Rose") - which I was very proud of at the time, several years in the making. Kew Gardens and friend, the eminent rosarian Graham Thomas, both had copies and tried to find a publisher, but to no avail. I was then asked to rewrite the script as a coffee-table-browsing book, rather than an investigative scientific dissertation, though it was definitely lyrical and a fairly easy read IMHO. I declined, as other aspects of my life took over at the time. Closer to Houz'z home, I did make a significant contribtion to the discussion "Let's talk about the 'Myrrh' scent of David Austin Roses" which might be of interest. (page 6 of 'Explore Discussions', Roses). We've been fobbed off with the notion that DA English Roses introduced the "Myrrh" scent profile into their creations for far too long - this romantic fragrance feature has been applied and perpetuated since the introduction of Constance Spry in 1961. The scent in fact is authentic anise, or sweet licorice, as identified in the aromatic profile of the herb Sweet Cicely (Myrrhis odorata) which inhabits the roadways and ditches of northern UK. So not very romantic then! It has nothing to do with the bitter resin aroma of the genuine article, the sap which exudes from the damaged bark of Commiphora Myrrha of exotic faraway lands. The term "Garden Myrrh" tells us what the scent profile is more accurately I would venture - and the company has got away with it because so few of us have been privileged to inhale the real McCoy. The language "Myrrh of Gardens" would never sell roses, would it? 'Dannahue' update. The bowl of petals holds out for one day or two, then disintegrates like The Generous Gardener. So not good at all for picking. Hopefully a more mature bush will have many flowers to open in succession to compensate for the confetti of petals covering the ground. Time will tell.
    ...See More
  • buford
    13 years ago

HMM, for me, Teasing Georgia and Heritage have little or no scent. Maybe it's dependent on area?

• roseberri, z6
    13 years ago

Lavender Lass most of the answers you have gotten you will notice are from warm zoners. However there are many cold zoners that have had sucess with many of the Austins and 2 zone 4 people I can think of are Celest and Kristin in Ny and a lady in Michigan.( I know that 3!) Winchester Cathedral was listed in several places as very hardy, it seems to have limited scent to me and to be most strong in the morning. Abraham Darby is pretty, hardy and smells vey good. Heritage is beautiful, and has a lovely delicate smell but the flowers are delicate also. That is all I can tell you about for my garden as the others are too new. Iam in zone 5 but my particular climate is windy and harsh, I just got my first blooms yesterday on a Morden rose and that is two weeks early for me.
    roseberri

• mendocino_rose
    13 years ago

You've gotten alot of answers. What more can I add? Chateau Frontenac. I think it is not an Austin but comes from Austins. It smells likie cherries to me. I think Gertrude J. has the best smell. Sceptred Isle is a fabulous rose. I don't think there is anything more healthy, vigorous or freeblooming(though in flushes) here in my garden. Another Austin that is not an Austin is Louise Clements. I just think it is one of the world's prettiest roses with a decent scent as well.

• ceterum
    13 years ago

The Prince, Sharifa Asma, Abraharm Darby, WS2000 for fragrance; I am with Bufrod on Heritage.
    I love the color of Tradescant.

• rosymominzone9
    13 years ago

ooh..my Jude the Obscure is going to bloom any day now for the first time so I'm excited after hearing all this feedback.
    Stasi

• Molineux
    13 years ago

My favorites include:

EVELYN - apricot pink blend
    HERITAGE - translucent white blushed shell pink in the middle
    MOLINEUX - yellow blend
    PAT AUSTIN - tangerine with a lemony reverse
    ROSE-MARIE - ivory
    SHARIFA ASMA - dawn pink
    THE PILGRIM - white blushed canary yellow in the middle
    WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE 2000 - crimson

• athenainwi
    13 years ago

Jude the Obscure is my favorite. One of the local nurseries had a bunch of Austins and I decided this one smelled the best - over Evelyn which I thought was what I was going to get. The Prince has the best color, good fragrance, and it stays small if you need something that won't take up a lot of room. It lasts decently in a vase too.

• maggiepie_gw
    13 years ago

I'm in zone 4b.
    DA roses that grow for me.
    Sharifa Asma, fantastic looks and scent, 4th year
    Eglantyne, beautiful looks and scent, 4th year
    Wife of Bath, lovely little rose, 4th year
    Heritage, shatters fast and I don't think the scent is good, 4th year
    Ambridge Rose, beautiful looks and good scent, 4th year
    Golden Celebration, great looks and scent, 4th year
    Leander, great looks, not too much scent, 4th year
    Graham Thomas, lovely rose but prefer GC, 3rd year
    Gertrude Jekyll, gorgeous rose and wonderful scent, 3rd year
    Evelyn, gorgeous and scent is wonderful, 3rd year
    LD Braithwaite, gorgeous and I like the scent, 2nd year
    Brother Cadfael, gorgeous looks and scent, 2nd year
    Crown Princess Margareta, lovely looks,can't remember the scent, 2nd year
    Scepter'd Isle, Best blooms were in Autumn last year, looked fantastic and good scent 2nd year.
    William Shakespeare 2000, gorgeous rose and smells wonderful, 2nd year

I haven't lost a DA rose so far but I have them buried 4 inches or so above the graft.

• spaceygardener
    13 years ago

So far, Abraham Darby has been my best performing Austin rose based on how the flowers look, how well it blooms even when it has suffered from the weather and sometimes neglect and it has a scent that I can only describe as intoxicating.

• bebemarie
    13 years ago

Jumping in to put a good word in for Austin's Grace (tea scent) and Harlow Carr (Old rose scent).

Healthy and blooming with 3.5-4 hours sun a day. Tried a lot of others and have ditched them.

• sanju
    13 years ago

One more vote for Gertrude Jekyll for fragrance. But WS 2000 is my favourite for looks and fragrance. GJ has two good flushes and then doesn't do much at all. WS 2000 is a reliable repeater for me.
    Sanju

• Kiskin
    13 years ago

I have grown roses for 4 years now. Most of my roses are Austins, I love them, plus a good friend of mine sells them, so I always get a nice discount. :)

My firm favourite so far is Harlow Carr - a lavender-pink rose, that blooms for a long time for me and her scent is heavenly.

• jumbojimmy
    13 years ago

I really love the look of Harlow Carr too. But Harlow Carr is not available in Australia. I think David Austin should let the public to decide which rose they want to have for next year's release. By doing this way, the company could ensure maximum sales, and hence profits coming in to the company.

• vuwugarden
    13 years ago

How long does it take for Harlow Carr to perform?

Mine is two years old and rebloom is, well there's no rebloom at all. It's just a short, thorny, sickly bush. So far I hate it, hate it...I ordered the hedge promotion so I have 12, 6 along each side of the driveway.

I'm waiting for year 3 before I SP'd her.

Audrey

• gizmo1947_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

Jude the Obscure, BrotherCadadfael, Heritage, Eglyntine,Mary rose. ,Graham thomas Golden celebration My fav. Is Jude the Obscure iithink.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

Harlow Carr bloomed almost immediately for me the first year and was even better the second year. Unfortunately, it couldn't tolerate the heat but lookswise it would be one of my favorites. Another one which does well here in afternoon shade and is beautiful and fragrant is Sister Elizabeth, a very undervalued rose. Smaller bush and beautiful lilac pink, old-rose blooms. Wife of Bath and Charles Darwin are also favorites. I also love Cottage Garden although I can detect no fragrance on my two bushes. It tolerates the heat quite well. My most fragrant Austin was Abraham Darby which didn't like the heat and is gone. Carding Mill is excellent in the heat and beautiful. Bishop Darlington is a gorgeous rose, lilac pink and very fragrant. I love Sophy's rose for the lilac color and shape of the flowers but it has no scent. Good in the heat so I'll keep her. Almost all of mine are own-root. Supposedly the bushes stay smaller that way while actually blooming more.

Ingrid

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

Oops, I meant Bishop's Castle, not Bishop Darlington, which I believe may be a Hybrid Musk.

Ingrid

• emese
    11 years ago

favorites for appearance, Golden Celebration, The Pilgrim,Pat Austing, Abraham Darby, Graham Thomas, St. Swithun. For fragrance, Golden Celebration a complex scent, difficult to describe, St. Swithun, (my friend hates the scent, calls it wet socks,,,but smells great to me!) For a unique scent, I love Jane Austen, it is a myrrh scent, and for a lovely sweet scent, Gertrude Jekyll, Radio Times. For fantastic scent for my personal olfactory sense,,,Golden Showers, (not an Austin) but for my nose it is reminds me of the old fashioned violets I loved as a child. The picture below is The Pilgrim

• silverkelt
    11 years ago

Ive tried 15 or so throughout the years, the most reliable one I grow is Crocus Rose here, even Mary Rose is a runt after years of growth.

By far the most fantastic scent of any austin I have sniffed personally is Abraham Darby, but after about 8 years or so , its down to one cane, I could replace it and get another few years. I noticed the least hardiest ones really take a nosedive after a few years.

I have tried the following:
    heritage medium hardiness, with a honey and rose scent, medium scent
    Jude the Obscure, hated my cold climate, lasted two years for me, others chimed in with this fragrance, but for the life of me it was a raw tabacco smell then anything else, not something I really liked.
    Sharifa Asma, a lovely citrus scent, lemons and roses, however , medium hardiness here
    Anne Bolyene , Austins answer to a landscape rose really, was always in bloom, pretty rose, slight scent, but only average hardiness
    Abe Darby - Peaches and Roses scent, maybe my favorite I have ever smelled (this includes some fantastic scented roses like albas , gallicas, and cents!) however its only average hardiness.
    Evelyn, yikes, this one died its first winter... only got a few buds on it, smelled nice, but not really in Abes class if you ask me. Not really a great cold zone choice.
    Heritage - slightly above average hardiness, with honey and roses scent, medium scent. Lovely rose, but I wouldnt call it super hardy either.
    Geoff Hamilton - Deeply cupped with a billion petals, but would rot in the rain, slightly scented, average hardiness.
    Mary Rose, touted as a cold hardy rose, and is of sorts, but never took off for me, still is alive after 8 years though and puts on a couple dozen buds.
    Crocus Rose, above average hardiness, i get about 20% killback most winters, Ive never pruned this down to the ground like others, it is vigorous, wonderful yellow cream for the north, but only slighly scented.

Ive grown others, but I stopped purchasing austins a few years ago, not becuase I didnt like them, I actually found them a little above average to most buck roses, whom I found to be no hardier then almost any hybrid teas Ive bought.

Unfortuntely, DA really doesnt test his hardiness ratings for US, most of his very hardy roses are not , but some he listed as marginal were ect.. You can give them a whirl, but you will be testing them in the end.

The other issue is they bloom slightly behind my antiques here, having to recover from a winterkill prune, just in time for the JBS to devour them. Im pretty much done buying anything but antiques, for just that reason, plus not every DA rose is all that great about blackspot, some are much better then others, Crocus doesnt get a drop of it till after its first big flush, even then its lik ea 50% drop, Mary Rose on the other hand completly defoliates every year. They stay until they die probably, but anything new needs to be more desease resistant then most DA roses.

Silverkelt

• blendguy
    11 years ago

For scent: Jude the Obscure, St Cecilia, Sharifa Asma. (close runner-ups: Scepter'd Isle, Brother Cadfael, Ambridge Rose, Wollerton Old Hall, Lady Emma Hamilton, James Galway)

Overall: Scepter'd Isle, Munstead Wood, Jude the Obscure

Cheers,
    robert

• kristin_flower
    11 years ago

I can't believe no one mentioned Pretty Jessica. It's very fragrant, and has been exceptionally hardy for me in zone 4a.

• monarda_gw
    11 years ago

I like James Galway a lot, though haven't really grown it personally.

• Kippy
    11 years ago

I just planted a four more Austins in my "Mostly English" bed. Note sure which one it was, but as I was walking in the gate from the lower garden, there was the most wonderful rose scent. That is just what I wanted.

The bed has:
    Golden Celebration
    Abraham Darby
    Yves Pigat
    Stormy Weather (going to be a serious climber)
    Carding Mill
    Jubilee Celebration (2x in a back row area)
    Bishops Castle
    Ambridge

and an oops Janet (should have been the 3rd Jubilee Celebration)

A nearby bed has a pair of Darcy Bussels

Not sure which was was the main contributor, but they are all new this year and only a few blooms. Next year should be much better for the scent.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for all the recent responses! My mom ended up with the David Austin roses (she's in zone 5) and she likes Mary Rose, Gertrude Jeckyll, Tamora and Heritage. She just got a Golden Celebration, because she wanted a yellow David Austin rose.

For my zone, I ended up with old fashioned roses, a few shrub roses and some floribundas...along with Bleu Magenta and Veilchenblau, which have both done very well, so far! I just got the Cottage Rose this year, which I've always wanted to try...and Ebb Tide. Not a DA, but a beautiful shade of reddish purple, with a lovely fragrance :)

• silverkelt
    11 years ago

THere was a old time thread that was started a few years back.. about the hardiness of DA roses, however one of the issues is z5's are not created equal in any, way, shape or form. My z5 seasons isnt much colder then others, but it can be longer, with lots of snow (over 100 inches some years) (great you say... well, with the snow comes ice, lots of that too, sometimes you get inches of snow, then ice, then snow, then ice, again and again, ive yet seen roses really love to be exposed to pure ice) each zone , area has thier unique challenges, to me of the DA roses ive tested, the one that has stood out, is Crocus Rose, maybe not highly fragrent, but its reliable and brings that rare cream/yellow that is hard to plant amongst hardier roses.

I cant comment enough on this rose worthiness in the northern garden,

{{gwi:262547}}

In retrospect, I always try to tell people to try the antiques, they are mostly more desease reistant, lots with fragrant flowers, will get to be bigger bushes in the north (none of those 2-3 foot small plants that alot of austins turn out to be in the north) They may flower once a year.. but its for 4-6 weeks , with sometimes hundreds and hundres of blooms.

Silverkelt

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

What a gorgeous photo of Pretty Jessica, Kristen. I'm going to check it out on HMF. If only I had the room for her. Crocus Rose is lovely, too, Silverkelt. The color is unusual and appealing.
    In my garden, Evelyn has the most sumptuous scent of any of my Austins, followed by Brother Cadfael. They happen to be favorite all around roses, too. I have high hopes for Young Lycidas, but he's too young to really evaluate right now. Diane

• altorama Ray
    11 years ago

I only have one but I adore it, Mary Rose. One of the best in my garden. Does not stop blooming, healthy, fragrant, beautiful.

• dutch88
    10 years ago

Most of the Austin roses do well here. We have very hot summers and cold wet winters. I have 30 or so and have ordered 3 more. I would like to get some that are not yet available here, including Port Sunlight, Lady Emma Hamilton and Carding Mill.
    My favourites from my garden are:
    Jude the Obscure, fantastic fragrance and lovely big blooms
    Pat Austin, great colour and heavenly perfume.
    Teasing Georgia, beautiful flowers, lovely tea scent

Other favourites are Grace, Charles Darwin, Crown Princess Margareta, Evelyn, Ambridge Rose, Happy Child and Claire Austin.
    Photo is of Happy Child.

• dutch88
    10 years ago

Austin's in my garden

• nastarana
    10 years ago

For scent: Evelyn, Othello and The Prince

For beauty of flower, Evelyn, Radio Times and Graham Thomas.

I think Othello's thorny canes are is rather oddly attractive.

• aimeekitty
    10 years ago

Jude the Obscure, Jude the Obscure, Jude the Obscure. Gorgeous rose, gorgeous fragrance

• labrea_gw
    10 years ago

For Fragrance I love Munstead Wood I just bought a 2nd! For appearance I'm a sucker for Pat Austin & have been for years

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I'm updating my little list and adding Munstead Wood, both for beauty and scent. I had no idea it smelled this good. And those big, velvety blooms...yum. Diane

• Kippy
    10 years ago

I am more and more impressed with Lady of Megginch. The last BIG spray lasted on the bush a good week. Probably not super fresh up close, but impressive from the yard.

My little Janet is surprising me too.

And James Galoway has put up a thick cane to moms bedroom window full of sprays and buds. (considering her window is a good 6 feet off the ground and James has been in the ground less than a year...I am happy)

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

Oooo, look at all those gorgeous Austins! Nice thread.

Daughter of an engineer. True but irrelevant and the fact does nothing to mitigate my technological impairment. I have no idea how to post more than one photo at a time on ARF. If I discover a couple of yummy Austins on my computer, please pardon my fumbling while I post each separately.

Tamora first. But soft, what light from yonder window breaks? It is the east and Tamora is the sun.

Carol

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

Goodnight, sweet The Prince. And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest!

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

Abraham Darby sans Shakespearean allusion. Anyone know one that applies?

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

William Shakespeare

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Abraham Darby sans Shakespearean allusion. Anyone know one that applies?

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

Always works in a clinch!

Kate

• silverkelt
    10 years ago

I grew dozens at one point, but the only one worth of hoot is still crocus rose. I still get a small smattering of bloom on mary rose, abe darby and heritage.

gone are a long list of middle aged ones, jude, sceptered ise, sharifa asma, Geoff Hamilton ect ect.. tried a lot of that time frame, most just couldn't hack it, as I tried growing on own roots, a pretty big no no here in the northeast if trying to grow marginal roses.

OF ALL the austins I have grown (which included many fragrant ones people have already listed) Abe was always my favorite, Abe is a very unique fruit blend, some compare it to a wine and rose smell, I said it always smelled like grapefruit and roses to my nose.

It doesn't quite compare to the best of the antiques to me, but if I had to pick one rose that was a modern to grow for fragrance it would still be Abe..

Below is crocus rose about 50% winter dieback here.. so not 100% sure in z4 it would be terrific honestly, I like crocus smell, its a mild tea scent actually. But if you cannot smell that, then it would do you any good. Some people cant.

{{gwi:262550}}

{{gwi:262551}}

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    10 years ago

Okay...that's it. I'm getting Tamora as of right now. Th-th-thanks for that enticing picture Carol.

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

You won't be disappointed, musaboru. I have one plus a spare for good measure. Tamora's aroma is as sweet as her countenance.

"A rose by any other name...." Of course. Thank you, Kate!

• Zyperiris
    10 years ago

I know David Austin is somewhat a controversial subject..but in retrospect I really like Austins. True I am in the soggy PNW which is perfect for Austins..My Lady Emma is fantastic.

• gardenheat
    10 years ago

I reside in Las Vegas where the summer temperatures can hit the 120's and the lows stay near 100 and love Austin's. Fortunately, I have had success with varieties that are beautiful. One Golden Celebration is grown in an area where it receives morning sun only and one is in an area where it receives about two hours of morning sun from the south as the sun passes through my home and the neighbor's house and about two hours in the late evening and it is thriving too. The blooms are huge and the fragrance is intoxicating.
    I have a Glamis Castle that I moved from a previous residence, and it receives about 6 hours of afternoon heat; the blooms are smaller, but really white and pretty. The blooms do not last as long as they do during the months of April - late May or September - December, but I will take them! Both plants are healthy!

This winter: Gertrude Jekyll, Lady Emma Hamilton, Ingenious Mr. Fairchild and Princess Alexandria Kent....

• fragrancenutter
    8 years ago

I like the complex fragrance of Munstead Wood but the fragrance can be elusive in my hot dry climate. Also the flowers don't last long for me. Best Austin by visual appeal in my garden is Happy Child. Tonnes of blooms non stop all year and very dense and green and glossy foliage. This plant can produce many side shoots from a single node resulting in an extremely dense plant covered in flowers. The flowers are absolutely packed with petals and very neat but they don't last very well when cut - 3 days only. Evelyn on the otherhand is a giant open spreading plant and flowers much less than Happy Child but the flowers are very long lasting in the vase - 10 days. They also smell good.

Does anyone have any suggestions of Austins that will not fry in the heat, very fragrant and the flowers are lasting when cut? (I already have Evelyn and Brother Cadfael) Thanks!

• brightstar123
    8 years ago

I have Grace here in a hot humid climate and she's been a surprising star performer. I didn't particularly want Grace, she was on special in the bargain bin and I wasn't convinced by the pointed petal shape. But she grows like a weed, is nicely fragrant, shakes off the black spot and repeat flowers faster than almost anything else in the garden. I've come around to the flowers too, I like the colour changes as they age. They don't last for ages in a vase though, perhaps 4-5 days max if picked in tight bud.

A bit too late with this photo but the flowers turn a lovely soft pink...

• fragrancenutter
    8 years ago

I must check it out next time I am in a rose nursery. The flowers look very pretty in your photos. I hope it doesn't smell like myrrh as I cannot stand that smell.

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Bump this up: Agree with previous poster that Golden Celebration can take partial shade (but messier with octopus canes). Golden Cel. was in full-sun before I moved to partial shade, with fewer blooms but better quality & more petals.

Glad to hear that the Pilgrim has a nice myrrh scent. So far Teasing Georgia has a light fruity scent to my nose, and Crown Princess Mag's scent is much stronger. Below is CPM, it's a 10th-year own-root in 4 hrs. of evening sun.

All my 30 Austin roses are hardy (most are in 11th or 10th-year as own-root), EXCEPT for

Darcey Bussell (my fault for planting it in poor drainage clay)

William Morris (also my fault for making the soil too acidic)

Young Lycidas (wimpy as grafted-on-Dr.Huey)

Jude the Obscure (NOT hardy as own-root, died after 2 years in zone 5)

I bought 4 more Austins this year (Teasing Georgia, Leander, Wenlock, Tradescant), so far Wenlock is the most wimpy at 1/4 the size of the others. Wenlock needs more sun & fast drainage than my shady and wet garden can give.