SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Keeping the garden watered...what are your favorite solutions?

Well, it seems to be that time of year again. We had minimal rain all spring and now summer has arrived with only promises of 'scattered thunderstorms' on the horizon. If this year runs true to form, they will all miss us and we will be dragging the hose all over the yard all summer.

Since we are still constructing a garden, there are many plants that are not well established and despite a good portion of them being chosen for drought tolerance, and despite a good layer of mulch added, things are looking pretty dry out there today and the plants are starting to show it.

So I am wondering if anyone here has been in the same boat and how they solved this annual struggle to keep the garden watered. I keep wanting to get some rain barrels set up but hasn't happened yet.

One problem is getting everything that needs doing, done before the heat arrives. We are perpetually behind schedule. So in addition to the perennial, shade beds, the shrubs and the lawn, there are the small containers of plants that have not been planted yet, to keep watered too.

I have read lots of advice about using soaker hoses and not watering overhead. It made sense to us and we bought a lot of soaker hoses. I found though that our water pressure is not strong enough to travel through more than one length of soaker hose at a time. So, if I can't even connect two together then I would have to connect to each single hose and leave that running for quite awhile to soak down to the roots then disconnect it and connect to the next hose. That would be a lot of hose connect changes.

So that leaves either overhead sprinklers or hand watering. The sprinklers are the most time efficient and the least work. I can do almost the whole back yard in six sprinkler positions. I figure I can run two sprinkler positions a day and have most of the back done in three days. In the front I have plants that are mildew prone...roses...and overhead watering doesn't seem like the best idea, so I am planning on laying soaker hoses there and hand watering too. Hand watering containers as well. That doesn't include the lawn which would require probably 3 more sprinkler positions to keep up with and I have a small property.

That is the best idea I can come up with and wondering if there are any geniuses out there who have come up with some better ideas. :-)) My main goal is to save work. Something that doesn't require dragging a heavy hose from one end of the yard to the other or many trips to the yard to change sprinkler positions or connections to soaker hoses. Timers won't work if I can't connect a series of soaker hoses. Has to be something I haven't thought of to try, right? [g]

Thanks

pm2

Comments (33)