SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
remontant

Dear Mme. P: it's not you, it's me

remontant
15 years ago

Dear Madame Plantier, {{gwi:262489}}

This year's display was lush and more gorgeous than ever. I want to thank you and Alex G. for the show you two put on to the delight of our neighbors. In the three years I've had you, you have made the side yard the most glorious ever.

{{gwi:262490}}

But I think it's time we thought about a new location for you. Though DianeSS wisely warned me you'd become a great haystack of a rose, I thought I *wanted* a great haystack of a rose on that spot that gets sun a little before noon and then most of the rest of the day. I had no idea that you'd grow to 16' from end to end, that you'd try to muscle out the arborvitaes, or that you were such a pain to deadhead that I contemplated getting out the hedge trimmers last evening.

{{gwi:262491}}

Now it's true that yesterday I *thought* I heard something whisper "Arbor V. is a baldy-waldy," but it might have been a squirrel, and though my bands of Thomasville Old Gold and Souv. de Pierre Notting planted near your crinoline skirts did die, I'm not saying that you had anything to do with both their deaths. It's my fault, I'm sure.

However, I am beginning to think that perhaps, come fall, a few changes might be in order. I think that I might move you to the northeast corner of the yard. It's semi-shaded, but I understand you alba girls can take that. My concern is that it is a lowish spot in the yard, but I can build up a raised bed for you, not unlike the lasagna bed in which you have so obviously been thriving.

And because I don't want you to miss Alexandre Girault too much, I might even move a new gentleman back there to keep you company: Park's Supposedly Yellow Supposedly Tea-Scented China.

However, if you or your friends at GW can present me with some very good arguments for your remaining in place, I am open to considering them.

Comments (7)