SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pwerntz

John Deere STX-38...fuel starvation????

pwerntz
16 years ago

After putting up with stalling problems for two years, I had a new carb installed, and I thought my problems were over. Now, the beast will run for a half-hour or so, begin to tremble as if it's over-choking, and stop. Sometimes it will re-start, but just barely run as if in idle mode. I noticed that the fuel filter, newly installed by the shop, and which is encased in a clear cartridge, has NO fuel, or darned little at all. Am I right to suspect the in-line shut-off valve, which is between the fuel tank and filter cartridge? Is there such a thing as installing the filter bass-ackwards, and would a seemingly competent repair shop do such a thing? Could I have crap sloshing around in my fuel tank which OCCASIONALLY blocks the fuel line? I need some advice, gentlemen! Thanks for your consideration....Phil p.s. The beast is now 19 years old, but has really been a gem, with a Kohler 12.5 horse engine...

Comments (3)

• bill_kapaun
    16 years ago

IF over choking/rich, it would be puffing black smoke.
    I'm going to guess it's not that. If it were, you'd tend to see that sooner.
    When the problem occurs, loosen the gas cap momentarily. IF that "fixed" the problem, the vent is plugged in it.
    Another possibility is the ignition coil is dying. They often fail when they get hot, while working fine when "cool".

• tomplum
    16 years ago

Yes. The fuel pumps have check valves that fail on these. If it becomes a fuel delivery issue- be sure the cap vents, the fuel system clean and if all else fails replace the pump. Coils also fail as Bill points out.

• tom_k_de
    16 years ago

(1) Disconnect tank outlet line to check for a strong fuel flow. Loosen cap.Blow air through the inlet line into gas tank,if slow.(2) If OK, Install (solder) a brass hose fitting in a gallon metal can to make a temporary fuel tank.Put ths 'tank' on top of tractor,and run a fuel line from it to the carb inlet.Add about a qt of fuel.Run engine.This can help pinpoint the problem area,if a fuel delivery problem.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm
More Discussions