SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wilsocn

How long for compost to turn to "fluffy" black gold?

wilsocn
10 years ago

This is my second year composting. Last year I just constantly added to the pile and sort of quit and forgot about it for a few months. I came back and scraped away the top layer and what was under there was so black, crumbly, fluffy and earthy smelling that I almost couldn't believe my eyes. In a word it was beautiful. :D

Well this year I have two piles going and about a month ago I tapered off on adding to the first pile so that it could finish. I have been turning frequently and watering so that it stays moist but it is no longer heating up and there are baby worms in it. My other pile will get steaming hot a day after turning and watering.

With the almost finished pile that I quit turning, it is a dark rich color but you can still make out a few of the things that were put into the compost if you get close enough. Not big pieces of anything but rather hints of what actually went into the pile.

Is there a trick to get it to heat back up without adding food scraps to it? If not, when should I expect the good stuff that I was lucky enough to get last year?

Thanks everyone

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting