SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunslight

Which HFGH do you recommed--the 6x8 or 10x12?

sunslight
17 years ago

Im trying to decided on whether to get the 6x8 or 10x12 HFGH. I've read just about everything I can find on them and still could use your help, opinions, what I might expect.

My original question is on the HFGH thread if any want to look there for more details.

The replies are good. (You sure are great people)

If any of you have strong feelings on which to get, I'd like to hear.

This GH has to be freestanding, no windbreaks nearby, in fact it seems that I am in the lowest spot on the street, get the coldest air and the worst wind. It's to be the culmination of my life-long hobby--a place to work and to just sit and enjoy.

1) I know if I get the 6x8, get it going, IÂll then want the 10x12. Or are most people happy with just the 6x8?

IÂm thinking too, being older, do I still need to grow 100 tomato plants and all the flowers in the world for bedding?

I could use most everything when I was younger, but now older, I canÂt plant as I used to. Will the 10x12 just be a waste as well as a real pain to put up?

Except, with the larger, I might be able to section off a part of it for tropicals, maybe even have a tiny pool, sit there and read, put my umbrella up when the misters come on and feel like IÂm back home in Louisiana with the green, humid, feel good air, which I donÂt think IÂd be able to do with the 6x8.

2) With all the great, detailed construction information on GW on the 6x8, IÂm pretty sure I can handle building it. I couldnÂt find the same kind of details though, for the 10x12.

If I go with the 10x12, would anyone be willing to help me with how to construct it and reinforce it so it wonÂt go down in the first or even third wind storm as well as survive two feet of snow load?

Can the instructions for constructing the small one be equally applied to the larger, just change the scale? Or am I going to have a mess?

It seems for every pro there is a con for getting either one.

Oh--HF is also selling a vent opener for $20--any good or go with something from Charley's or the like?

Decisions, decisions and then theirs my wife to consider (or maybe not):

She doesnÂt like plants, flowers, grass, or sunlight; while I am just the opposite. e.g., one day she was mad at me. I came home and found a rare plant IÂd been growing under lights for three years, ripped from its container, roots shredded, thrown on the kitchen floor, and stomped on.

But then, shouldnÂt she be happy IÂm not going to do what IÂd really like to do: knock down, the brick, south facing living room wall, replace it with glass from floor to ceiling; put in skylights throughout he rest of the house; move the living room to the basement (where she can live); and IÂll stay upstairs in the sunlight and my own little forest?

I know with either GH, IÂll be putting in a bit of money to equip it. I have always had to pinch pennies. However, as I mentioned, with getting older, if IÂm going to have a hobby greenhouse now is the time to do it.

Poll please on which one to get and why?

Bob

Provo, Utah

Comments (19)