SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greeningup123

Any Hope for Snow-Damaged Trees?

greeningup123
11 years ago

Hello all,

At one of our properties we planted numerous shrubs and ornamental trees last Summer. About a month or so ago we received approximately 36 inches of snow in one storm. Along the foundation planting, there were drifts over 6 feet high! Underneath all of this snow were a weeping (Pee Gee) hydrangea tree and a weeping (laceleaf) japanese maple. The laceleaf japanese maple split in half (maybe only 25% is still attached to the tree). The other half is still completely attached - it was not damaged, thankfully.

My Question Is.....Do you think this branch will heal if we apply tree wound paint to it and thread a screw to help mend the tree? FYI, we used drywall screws to help another japanese maple of this kind a couple years back and it is doing great, but the split wasn't as severe.

The hydrangea tree has completely snapped at the trunk (not even attached at all) and it was even staked for support (well that didn't work with 6 ft. of snow).

My Question Is.....Since the tree was just planted last summer and the trunk is completely severed, do you think new growth will emanate from where the tree snapped or is the tree a complete goner? Finding a replacement tree is not an issue, but I was just wondering if new growth is viable?

Will try to get a pic soon.

Thanks guys...

Comments (5)