SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mbsl98

JD Freedom deck - should it have much lift?

mbsl98
16 years ago

I'm still getting familiar with my new JD Freedom 42 mulching deck, so this is a real "newbie" question. So far, I have mowed only three times. The cut is superb (vs prior JD 165) with about no visible clippings at all when mowing nice plump moisture laden grass, even on the first cut of year when it was very uneven growth. Yesterday I cut after it had rained early in the day and all was still quite damp, and still great look and no clippings or clumps. (my side discharge with high lift blades would have had a real job of bagging it yesterday). My only question relates to the lift, or lack of lift really, that it seems to have. It doesn't pick up small sticks, nor suck in uncut blades of grass (or mulch) just to the sides of the deck, or otherwise seem to generate much upward suction. Since the cut is great, this is not a problem, but everyone seems to be saying that mulching needs high lift, and this is so much the other way that I am curious. The JD blades for the Freedom are unique, and they are essentially flat versus teh shape of high lift blades, so it is not surprising to me that there does not seem to be much lift. Benefit of the blade shape seems to be much quieter operation, no dust, etc., but I'd like to confirm all is OK. Blades were dealer installed, so factory, (although the dealer installed them backwards so the cutting edges were not used), and shape of underside of deck doesn't seem to allow for a high-lift blade profile. Any input from Freedom users?

Thanks

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations
More Discussions