SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
landperson_gw

Let's talk about those darn rose slugs

landperson
12 years ago

Here's what I'm wondering. I know (or have been told and believe) that the rose slugs don't do any permanent damage, and that their primary damage is just aesthetic. Some years I have grabbed the Pyrethrin spray and it has always seemed to do some good at reducing the Fall recurrence. However, here is what I'm wondering.

Where do they come from first thing in the Spring? Do their eggs winter over in the soil? If I squash every one that I see, have they already laid their eggs on the leaf for the Fall? Do I need to remove every bleeping lacy leaf to keep the eggs from hatching into more slugs in the Fall? and, finally, if I were to do nothing at all could they reach critical mass and actually fell the poor rose?

I spend a lot of time in the early mornings and the evenings when they come out to take their walks around the leaves and I squash and squash and squash, because the leaves really do look quite yucky with all those holes in them, but....am I really doing any good? I'm quite a good little slug tracker, but removing all those leaves as well puts me right over the edge.

Susan

Comments (11)