SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jackdeere

When is a Deere a real Deere?

jackdeere
15 years ago

Just bought a JD LA 135LE based on the dealers recommendation.

Now I am having second thoughts. Is this really a good tractor? I need something that will last 10 years.

I have heard from some people that the 100 series of tractors is just plain junk.

The dealer said the LA 135 will not only mow my 1/2 acre lawn, it will actually snowblow my driveway.

Other people have told me "no way".

So, I have 25 days left while I can still return it for full value, either cash back or exchange.

It cost me $1900.00. I wouldn't mind spending more money for something better, something that will last a number of years.

I have mostly a flat lot with some trees. One small hill.

I need this primarilly to mow the lawn, but to be able to snowblow the driveway is an added plus (if it really can do this).

So, is this a true John Deere "tough enough" machine, or should I shop for a more rugged one?

Thanks for your input.

Jack

Comments (81)

• steve2ski
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have a Dodge Ram with a Hemi, Ram's are fake w/o a Hemi. And further more stay the hell out of the cab if you can't afford the gas. Ram with 5.7 hemi, in front of a 545RFE transmission, twisting 3.92 LSD both ends, sitting tall on 20" wheels. It ain't cheap, but its real.
    Now I think X300 series lawn mowers are not real deere's either - People that have lil'deeres must think that they ae special. ROFL

• ridonkulus
    15 years ago

post a pic of the Hemi Ram.

• Related Discussions

Christmas deer becomes summer deer:-)

Q

Comments (12)
    Great idea! I know someone else on this forum did the same thing but you couldn't see what plants they put in theirs. They painted theirs brown. I always thought if I found one of those deers (and had a yard) I would do the same thing. TFS! LOL at calamity_j! Make sure you plant some arborvitae next to them. The deer seem to find that to be a delicacy too.
    ...See More

Brand name appeal of John Deere is real

Q

Comments (5)
    The older JD's hold thier value more, the newer ones wont, they arent built as tough as the older ones. Ive never owned a JD, mainly for the fact that i cant justify spending that much for a lawntractor ( i paid $1200 for a brand new 92 White LT12, which still runs, and i thot that was alot) - Ill stick with my low buck tractors that run perfectly fine for me ( all 15 of them). Kidd
    ...See More

John Deere LA115 vs John Deere X300

Q

Comments (23)
    My 18 year old JD170 finally 'died'. Or so I told myself and my wife. :-) Actually, one of the spindles broke and everyone knows that a broken spindle can't be fixed. Right? So what's a guy to do (sob). What any guy would do -- I went and bought a brand new X300 which will be delivered in 2 days. I only cut a mostly flat 1/2 acre so the X300 is overkill but who cares! I do want to buy the snow blower attachment and figured the X300 will be excellent for that purpose. I really can't wait. By the way Jaws, the spec sheet says the X300 has the K46 transmission, not the T46. I didn't read this post until last night, so I didn't get down to look at the sticker. All the posts though just confirmed that I bought one great machine. I might bypass the RIO switch though as I didn't buy the 4WS and do back up quite a bit. My 170 still has a perfectly running Kawasaki 14HP engine and tranny. What a workhorse! I gave pause to look at the HuskVys and Cub Cadets, but my 170 made me a JD loyalist. It really gave me outstanding service and I wasn't one to take care of it much. Lacking a shed and garage space, I often left it out all year, including severe upstate NY winters. It always started right up in the spring. But rust (wonder how that happened), deteriorating bags (hmmmm), and faded paint (go figure) convinced me that it was time. Actually, the fact that my 10yo son will want to be cutting the lawn in a couple years had something to do with it. Figured I want a some time where it's just MY machine. Don't worry guys -- I promise to take care of my new machine. I'm 53, and want this machine to last me 20 years or more -- or until I get the itch for a new model, whichever comes first. JD did give me $250 for a trade-in on the 170. I might had got more for it if I wanted to fix the spindle, clean it up and put up for sale -- but that would take time away from my X300. I'll let you guys know how I like it. Who am I kidding... I'm going to Love it!
    ...See More

I hate deer I hate deer I hate deer

Q

Comments (27)
    When I was a teenager, my mother thought chipmunks were cute. My Aunt next door cut down on the amount of cats & Mom was feeding them (the tree rats). The next thing we knew, there were chipmunks EVERYWHERE. Dozens of them, digging up all the bulbs & everything we planted. Emptying all the bird feeders. Running & playing & most of all multiplying. My Uncles were poisoning, trapping & shooting them until they finally got down to a manageable number. In later years, I had a Sheltie who thought it was her job to be on chipmunk patrol & she took it very seriously & kept them away. My Newf isn't that excited over such a small mouthfull but we have an Eskie who likes organic dog toys (mice & such are organic cat toys). Linda
    ...See More
  • metal
    15 years ago

Jan. 23rd 2008
    "In a stunning statement of the obvious, Chrysler Co-president Jim Press told Automotive News that 'The Hemi is not the power-train of the future.' "

Guess there won't be any "real" Dodge Rams in the near future, shucks ; )

• xs6dfg0
    15 years ago

I'm not the one saying the 100 series aren't real Deeres.

Stop bringing automobiles and trucks into this discussion. It isn't the same thing. The 100 series aren't X300s with less options. They are completely different.

Why are some people getting so bent out of shape about this?

Anyone who says they haven't read about 100 series problems must not be looking too hard. This isn't the only lawn forum out there. There are countless 100 series owners out there that are extremely pissed off about broken wheel spindles, broken deck spindles, belt failures, frame failures, pulley failures, etc.

If you own a 100 series that hasn't had any problems, then good for you. But there are many out there who have had problems.

A good friend of mine works at a former Deere dealer (they switched to Simplicity 6 months ago). I asked him about these "100 series" tractors from John Deere. He said they were complete garbage. They get them in all the time for belt, pulley, and spindle failures.

Maybe my expectations are too great.

• larso1
    15 years ago

Lately there are quite a few "former Deere dealers" due to the fact that these poor performers are being weeded out by Deere. Locally in my town Deere has pressured the owners to sell out to a dealer 100 miles south of here (who also happens to be my BIL), who has also taken over two other low performing dealerships in nearby towns and is in the process of turning them around. It's all about good customer relations through after sales maintenance/repair/parts support. People remember bad treatment and Deere does hear about it.

• xs6dfg0
    15 years ago

Deere came into our area last year and removed 19 dealerships.......in other words......all of them.

I guess all 19 were poor performers.

Take a close look at what is going on with Deere.

• metal
    15 years ago

xsd6...You need to stop comparing the L's to X's, as you say yourself they are different lines designed for different environments and uses with different price ranges. If you want to compare the L's to something compare them to other Big Box tractors that they are engineered and manufactured to compete with. Are you saying that there are more problems with the L's then the equivalently priced Husqy and MTD lines.

• xs6dfg0
    15 years ago

Let me simplify. I'm not here to argue.

The original question was "is this a really good tractor" (JD LA 135LE).

It is my opinion that it is not. Ask a dealer who won't lie to you. Ask a mechanic that works on them. Ask a homeowner that has been burned by them.

I have nothing against JD. Many people I know have them. I have used them. Green is OK in my book.

I understand that the 100 series and X300 series are built for different environments. I'm really just saying that sometimes paying a little more up front can save you from paying on the backside. Two or three trips to the dealership for the 100 series may have made the X300 worth it.

I'm trying to give sound fiscal advice and prevent some grief.

I've stated absolutely nothing about MTD or Husqy. I don't want to get into that comparison.

• varmint_304
    15 years ago

If a company makes a name for themselves building a specific type of product... then they build something completely contrary to that product... yes, fans have a right to kvetch.

I don't see that being a problem here. Deere is known for building quality machines. Even if the fail rate on L series tractors is higher than Deere's GTs, it's still lower than the fail rate for other brands. Consumer Reports puts it one notch above Kubota and several higher than the rest of the pack.

You simply need to adjust your expectations for the type of tractor being sold. A budget tractor is not going to be built with the same quality as a GT no matter which brand you buy. Corners must be cut to make the product fit a price point. If they don't build it that way, they cannot afford to offer that kind of tractor. Even with that in mind, the LAs still end up being better than the rest... which is consistent with the Deere brand image.

• larso1
    15 years ago

"Deere came into our area last year and removed 19 dealerships.......in other words......all of them.
    I guess all 19 were poor performers."

maybe they were.

"Take a close look at what is going on with Deere."

Not sure what you mean by that but take a close look at the latest sales figures below. With commodity prices high and countries like China beginning to import their grain, most of the agricultural producers and equipment suppliers are positioned well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deere & Company sales/profits

• duke88
    15 years ago

I worked across the street from the JD plant when I lived in Waterloo ,Ia (in the 70s) and would see a steady stream of (big) tractors leaving all day long by rail & trucks...had a lot of friends that worked there.

• marineguy
    15 years ago

It's not all about reliability. Just upgrading from a 100 series to a select series doesn't mean you'll just get a more reliable tractor. It's about utility, comfort and enjoyment as well. My GT series is an absolute pleasure to operate. My neighbor's LA series is (after test driving it) not even in the same league. I drive a GMC Yukon XL. Following suit, the same neighbor drives a Chevy Equinox. They're both REAL GMs, and in the end, the reliability/longevity won't justify the difference in price. A cute-ute like that might be fine for the 10 minute drive to work, but I'm thinking it wouldn't cut it on our bi-monthly family (of four soon to be five) road trips from NC to PA. Whether at the wheel of my GMC or JD, I'm comfortable, and enjoying myself; that's what I paid for. Some people live their lives by compromise. I'm not one of them. That doesn't mean I mow my 2/3 acre lawn with a brand new X700 with a 54" deck, I just won't settle for less than I need; I'd rather do without until I find/afford the right tool for the job.

Jackdeere, I suspect you knew the answer to your question before you asked it, but regardless of what any of us thinks of the 100 series, if it cuts your grass and you enjoy using it, it's suited for you. As far as reliability, you can pay now or pay later. Concerning the "fun factor," well that just depends on how much you've spoiled yourself thus far.

• hortsense
    15 years ago

Bumper sticker I saw the other day on a Ram 3500 (gave me a chuckle): "Real trucks don't need spark plugs!"

I don't think anyone should pooh-pooh ANY manufacturer for bowing to what the public demands. There are fools-a-plenty who will buy $900 P.o.S tractors and then complain loudly when they perform poorly. There is money to be made there. On the other hand, overbuying seems to often be a serious problem as well, at least among frequent posters here... ;)

• xs6dfg0
    15 years ago

"There are fools-a-plenty who will buy $900 P.o.S tractors and then complain loudly when they perform poorly."

Amen. Pay now or pay later.

• john_wa
    15 years ago

Marineguy, I like the way that you put that.......perhaps we think alike. I mow my 2-3/4 acres with a GX335 partly because I need the locking differential for my hillside, but also because I love the way it runs, drives and cuts. I spend lots of hours on that machine every year and every time I do I am thankful that I got it. Could I get by with something less? Probably. Would it be as enjoyable? Heck no! I have to say I'm the same way with just about everything I own. We're on this earth for such a short time that it would be a shame to NOT enjoy the equipment we buy to do the things we need to do. It makes life so much more pleasant!

• wheresmypension
    15 years ago

When it feels like one to you. My LTR180 feels just fine, and its a good hat too.

• jackdeere
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I like that..."when it feels like one to you".
    I have mowed my lawn 4 times now since I bought the LA135 and I am just impressed. It rides like a dream and cuts like a surgeon in the operating room.
    Lots of great comments and opinions here. Some are ludicrious, some make good sense.
    What in the world goes owning a HEMI Dodge have to do with mowing a lawn?
    Heck, what does comparing any car have to do with mowing a lawn?
    I just want to mow a lawn, I don't need nor do I want, a GT (garden tractor). I am not a farmer, I don't own a Mc Mansion with 5 acres.
    I just want a machine that will mow grass for 10 years or so, without falling apart. I think I found it.
    I went back to the dealer with my concerns about quality last week.
    Once again, I suggested I might need an upgrade, to at least the 300 series. His exact words to me were, well Jack, it IS your money. And if you insist, I will sell you a 300. However, you won't find any difference in your application. He said I will gain zero benefit from a slightly upgraded transmission. The 300 is also 3 inches longer, a tad harder to manuver. He also said he has been in business for 40 years and can say that the rework on the "tougher" machines is much greater, as people tend to over work those machines, using them for more than they were intended. The re-work on the LA models is very low at his business. He took me into his shop and showed me. There were no LA's on his floor. There were 4 300's in for repair.
    AND, he even offered to come to my house to evaluate my situation personally. Come to find out he only lives 3 miles down the road.
    And he passes my property on the way to his shop. He is a farmer also.
    I really think he is steering me in the right direction.
    I am going to stick with his opinion and keep the LA.
    So, to all you guys who own and recommend a Monster Hemi Dual Exhaust Tractor...WOO HOO to you.
    To those others who kept this in perspective, thanks.
    Cheers,
    Jack

• gorper99
    15 years ago

larso 1-That ad is from Iowa where they make farm equipment.Mowers are made in Wisconsin and I believe Tennessee?JD Lawn&Garden sales are not that good anymore.I know,I am 10 miles from their factory and have many friends working there.I work 6 miles from the JD factory in Mayville where the Scag mower is made.Our sales are down also.

• doe_a_deere
    15 years ago

5 years ago, I bought a new JD L110 with a 17.5 hp Kohler engine and a 42" mulching deck for about $1750 from a JD Dealer to cut my 1.5 acre up hill bumpy lawn with a septic field up top. I got it because Consumer Reports had said that it was the best all-around for the dollar. It worked great with a beautiful cut until the septic field and a contractors fertilizing made the grass so tough, the engine bogged down as if it was gonna stall, especially over the septic field, and really bad if I missed a week due to rain. By the way I threw away the $200 double bag grass catcher because I got tired of getting off the tractor and dumping them every 7.5 minutes. I went to a Kubota dealer to find out what a real tractor was and how I couldnÂt afford one, but some farmer had traded in his JD G110 w/ a 25 hp Kohler engine and a 54" mowing deck I bought it used, with no warranty for $2000, and at first was happier the way it had no problems with the thickness of the lawn. It also cut much faster in that it turned my 1 hour and fifteen minute weekly task into about 50 minutes. The blue smoke the used G110 was blowing when I test drove it was to mean later that I had to put about 3 to 4 hundred dollars into it for repair, and apparently, I was lucky, because it could have been much worse! It seemed the farmer, believe it or not, didn't change the oil much. But the main problem was that with the 54" deck it had did not cut the grass as nice as the smaller 42" deck with the rounded mulching platform. It made "Wind Rows" that did not seem to go away even after going back over it again, because my grass grew so fast or something. A salesman told me I may have to cut it twice a week (NO WAY). So, bottom line, it was taking longer to get the grass cut with a 54" deck than with the earlier 42" deck; almost twice as long and it STILL didnÂt look as nice as before! I added a mulching kit to it, installed by the dealer, even after their warning that I may get clumping. I did get clumping, and my wife never lets me hear the end of itÂ..The tension spring on the belt/pulley system broke 2 weeks ago and I went to the dealerÂs parts dept. and bought another one for $6 because their Spring back-log for repairs was over 2 weeks wait. I spent about 3 hours getting it on the deck. This new spring worked for two mowings and broke. Now, with rain, I have monster grass and no way to mow it. My wife almost bought a $2000 Cub Cadet at a box store out of desperation yesterday just to get the grass cut. So now, 5 years into this monster lawn, and two JDÂs later, we are looking at our 3rd one, an X300 or X304, to solve my weekly woes on this lumpy lawn. Oh yeah, by the way, when it was graded, the man did not do a very smooth job and my back and I wish my tractor had shock absorbers, but we can not afford the Kubota, or a real John Deere. I will probably trade in the G110 for a X304 next weekend, and peeve that I am trading down from a 25 hp Kohler w/ 54" deck to a 22 hp Kohler w/ a 48" deck, albeit in the new "stronger" X Series, but my wife wonÂt mind, because there will be no more "Wind Rows" and clumping (HOPEFULLY!). She doesnÂt have to do itÂ.she naps on the couch while I mow! I guess sheÂll nap a little longer, because I will be out there a little longer now. I hope the clumping and rows go away then, and I really hope to have less annoying repairs. I imagine, though, that they all use the same spring. Wish me luck if you have no good advice I can use.

• john_wa
    15 years ago

doe_a_deere: Your story is painful to read. Will your Deere dealer bring a mower to your property for a test drive on your conditions? Before I bought mine, my dealer brought the two mowers I was considering to my property for a test drive in my yard and conditions. I kept the GX335, have had zero problems or issues with it, and I have been pleased with that decision going into my 4th season now. If your dealer won't bring one out, don't forget about the JD 30-day promise. Keep track of those 30 days and if you aren't happy with, by all means take it back. I hope you find something that fits for you. Good luck to you.

• jdfanatic
    15 years ago

Maybe we can end this type of post here. A Deere is a real Deere when the corn squasher quishes the corn starcher. You guys have got to get lives! I've never heard such stupidity.

Guess why my posts, and others who have made this forum what it is, have gone from frequent to the basement? Let's do something that will help someone, not elicit grunts of approval.

Cheers

JDFANATIC

• deerejohnny
    15 years ago

jdfanatic...who in the (*&^) do you think you are?
    IF you don't like this forum, don't read it.
    Your nasty attitude and cheap opinions are rude.
    I and 50 others here happen to enjoy this subject.
    IQ: = 58 = "when the corn squasher quishes the corn starcher".
    Please stay in the basement!

• jdfanatic
    15 years ago

deerejohnny,

Your IQ shows through just fine. If you did your research and looked at service dates here, you would see who founded this forum and what the intent of those founders was. Go and crawl into your basement. I also note you don't even have the balls to post personal info, such as where you are located. Why? We all know.

Cheers

JDFANATIC

• deerejohnny
    15 years ago

"I also note you don't even have the balls to post personal info, such as where you are located. Why?"

Why do you care where I am from?
    I am from Lancaster, PA.
    1865 Lincoln Hwy E Lancaster, PA to be exact.
    Want to stop on over and meet me personally?
    Just name a time and date.

• dynamike59
    15 years ago

JDFANATIC....What do you think......youve been here 4 years and are getting bashed by someone who just registered today.....BIG BALLS

• jdfanatic
    15 years ago

This forum used to be here to help others. But if you look at the kind of posts that get traction now, they are posts that disolve into brand bashing, personal attacks etc. If you look at the group of posters that really made a difference here, you would be hard pressed to find more than a post every few months now. Why is that? Because they've found other forums where this kind of tripe would be pulled by the moderators. If you want this forum to continue to spiral downwards, go for it. Then when someone new posts a legitimate question their loss is the forums loss when a good deal of the collective knowledge is really found elsewhere.

Your choice.

Cheers

JDFANATIC

• gorper99
    15 years ago

Lancaster-Thought everyone around Dem parts drove horse powered equipment?

• marineguy
    15 years ago

Are you guys gonna FIGHT? If so, please post pictures.

Jdfanatic,
    I've enjoyed reading your posts over the years, but I'm not really sure who you intended to "help out" with that last one.

Sounds like you've got "a life."

But I'm curious, if they made a movie about it, would anyone go to see it?

• jdfanatic
    15 years ago

Those of you who have been around, think about this 6:43 pm 6/2/08 EST post.

Here is what the front page here has:

Need belt info for Craftsman ZT7000
    no posts.

Pull behind sprayers
    no posts

When is a Deere a real Deere?
    59 posts

Snapper rear engine rider
    5 posts

Craftsman No Brakes
    1 post

5 acre farm, can I get away with a z-trak?
    8 posts

Deere dealer frt/set up costs
    14 posts

10% Ethanol safe for our current fuel systems?
    1 post

Fastest cut lawn tractor?
    1 post

Old Wheel Horse
    11 posts

Lightly used JD2305 or BX1850?
    1 post

I'll let rest my conclusion. There are a bunch of people looking for answers; not is their Deere a real Deere; the question is, are we going to answer them, or care who an old fart such as JDFANATIC is? I really don't care, as long as this forum continues to support those in search of answers.

What is it going to be?

JDFANATIC

• deerejohnny
    15 years ago

You answeed your own question...59 (61 actually now) posts outnumbers all the rest by a wide margin. Seems to me there was/is an interest in "is their Deere a real Deere".
    I did mention your IQ in a previous post, see what I mean now?
    LOL

• jdfanatic
    15 years ago

This is sad, and perhaps because of the intelligence level of the idiot poster, my last post here. Sorry. Abject disfunctionalities have clawed their way to the surface. While anyone with a half a brain will already have serious doubts as to deerejohnny's tractor knowledge, it's patently clear he's a hot head.

Before throwing in the towel with someone we know diddleysquat about, we should ask the instigator to offer something constructive. Why don't we start with a search? Tractor topics are good. What has thumballina contributed to this forum?

Zilch.

Those searching for straws. Good luck! Thumballina's mouth tries desperately not be closed, but it is a trap into itself.

Let's all have a laugh.

Now back to the originally posted topic; a Deere is a Deere when it is a Deere. The same goes for a Simplicity, a Cub Cadet, a Craftsman, a Kubota, a Massey, a FIAT, a cripple-creeker, and all the brands I might have missed.

What a brain-stimulator. Whish . . . whish . ..

Now you will begin to understand why I'm such a skeptic of this stupid, diversive tripe.

Cheers

JDFANATIC

• clindt
    15 years ago

A "real deere" must be a 5000 series because JD designed and builds the engines in those tractors.

My "fake" JD L110 has been nothing but perfect only requiring oil changes and a new battery in the 6 years I've owned it. So much for "fake" Deeres huh?

• crazycanuck_2008
    15 years ago

Wow ... I hope I have caught this thread while it is still active. I am looking at the LA series tractors VS. the X300 series tractors. I often read and hear that there are big differences between the 'real' vs. the box store units. Other than the engines (which I realize is a big thing) what are the differences? Can anybody give me a list of differences?

thanks

• bill7
    15 years ago

crazycanuk,

There is a lot of good information on this forum, you just need to look and weed through some B.S. As far as I am concerned, the differences between box store models and the "real" ones is this: like anything you buy at the box stores, service is an issue.
    JD dealers will sell the LA100 series. They do have to service these even if they were purchased at Lowes, etc. Why not go to your nearest dealer to begin with? The price is very similar. I know I pay a little more for things at times, but I buy most of my power tools, etc. from stores that have service. When I don't, it is a pain to get the necessary help if I need something fixed or serviced.

Start a new thread on: LA110 vs anything else. You will get responses.

Good luck

• gw1951
    15 years ago

I bought my Deere (LX176) from a John Deere dealer in 1995, and have been mowing 3 1/2 ac. every years since. 38 in deck, 14 hp Kawasaki engine. And I got my hat from the dealer when he gave me the keys.

Nothing runs like a Deere, for sure!

• deerejohnny
    15 years ago

I sure do miss your subaverage intellectual ability equivalent to or less than an IQ of 70 that is accompanied by significant deficits in abilities (as in communication). Being slow and limited in intellectual and emotional development as you seem to be, I guess I can understand, jdfanatic.
    Where in the world are you lurking?
    Right here, I'd bet money.
    Why don't you come on out and play some more?

• dynamike59
    15 years ago

Is this guy for real?
    I wonder who typed his first paragraph ?

• john_wa
    15 years ago

dynamike59: There seems to be at least one person like this on every forum. As in other forums I frequent, the former owners of this forum used to block them from posting but the new owners don't seem to care. I think that's why many of the people who used to post here have gone elsewhere.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    What is a troll?

An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial and usually irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response[1] or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.[2]

• chrisincanada
    14 years ago

To the OP -

I had the same dilemna when I was looking to buy a JD tractor. I was going to get the L series at Home Depot until I found this internet forums. They provided lots of info and I realized I was not getting a 'real' Deere. I needed WAAAY more power than a pithy L-series. I needed the REAL DEAL BABY. My lawn doesn't stand a chance now.

Here is a pic of me accepting delivery - see link.

{{gwi:324378}}

Kidding aside, I actually did buy an X300 over the L series. It's been a fine tractor.

• larso1
    14 years ago

And when is a Craftsman a real Craftsman? I did kind of the same as you Chris, just different brand. Went for their top-of-the-line GT. Now I can sleep well at night knowing the hydro won't go out on me when I pull a loaded lawn cart up a hill.....

{{gwi:324380}}

• MongoCT
    14 years ago

the one on the left is a real John Deere. The one on the right is a real Jane Doe.

{{gwi:324381}}

• freddyfast9
    13 years ago

I think the LA series are very well built and if they aren't abused and are maintained will provide many years of service. They are not like the deeres of old but what is made like the days of old these days? not too many things. I took a LA165 home and used the 30 day promise to trade up to a x320 and am glad I did only due to having 3.5 acres of hills and inclines and I didn't think the LA series was enough tractor. I pull a 850lb yard roller and it's effortless and I weigh 240lbs with 90lbs of ballast in the tires. I think the john deere quality shows in all of their series but you can't compare them to the deeres of the past it's not a fair comparison. I spoke to several of the techs from several dealerships that said they have not seen a x320 in for tranny service in forever if that helps.

• freddyfast9
    13 years ago

I forgot to mention that on the john deere 30 day promise you only get to trade one time so you can't keep taking a new one home and trading up or down it's a one time deal. The other thing to consider is that if the machine is damaged or scratched up you may be held responsible but john deere gives the dealerships $250 to cover new blades or repair other damages done to the mower/tractor while it's being used so don't go over $250 in damage or you will have to pay anything over the $250 which is more than fair IMO.

• kompressor
    13 years ago

freddyfast9
    Tell me something. Why are you bothering to drag a TWO YEAR OLD thread out of the archives? Are you under the impression that the OP didn't get the answers he was looking for TWO YEARS AGO?

Have you not got better things to do with your time?

• larso1
    13 years ago

Geez kompressor, what's happened to you? Give the guy a break. He registered two days ago and doesn't necessarily know the normal workings of forum like this. I've seen you recently attack another newbie which was pretty brutal....EVEN FOR YOU!!! Lighten up Dude!

• kompressor
    13 years ago

larso1
    Just because freddyfast is a newbie on this forum, doesn't automatically make him a newbie to forums per se'.

This particular thread was already more than 70 replies long. The dates of those replies are all shown quite clearly to anyone reviewing the thread. All I see here is just another example of grandstanding. I have to wonder just how many pages back this thread was in the archives prior to it being revived for no good reason.

Shades of LB59.

• dynamike59
    13 years ago

Hats off to you Kompressor.
    LB 59......that brings back memories.

• daft_punk
    13 years ago

He's under a lot of pressure.

• daft_punk
    13 years ago

Crap...I didn't see the date of the last post.

Sorry all :-(

• ewalk
    13 years ago

When's a Navistar a Diesel ? When it's in a F-250..Roflmbo..Talk about Tales From The Crypt lol !

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths
More Discussions