SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cedarghost

Timing and compression question 25 hp Briggs Intek

cedarghost
12 years ago

I just replaced the sump gasket on a 445777 0168 e1 Intek 25 hp. After mounting the motor back on the frame, it started and ran but stayed at very low rpm. I shut it off after a couple of minutes, and then it wouldn't start without using my hand to get the flywheel past the compression stroke. After a while of doing this, now it doesn't help to move it past the compression stroke either. As soon as the motor hits the compression stroke it doesn't go any further.

I double checked the valves and they were set at .004, however I did not have the piston at 1/4" past TDC, so I am going to recheck them. I followed the youtube video, where he has one valve opened and one closed. If I am thinking correctly, at 1/4 past TDC, you should be able to adjust both valves on a given cylinder, correct?

Also, there is no way the timing was affected if I didn't remove the camshaft or any of the gears in the case when I replaced the sump gasket, is there?

Last, but not least, I did statically set the governor, but I am not sure if I did it correctly. Should I leave the governor link all the way off the governor shaft when I make the static settings, or just make sure there is no tension on it? Hope this makes sense.

Thanks.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor
More Discussions