SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wynswrld98

Yellow Bird/Butterflies Magnolia not blooming - why?

Wayne Reibold
14 years ago

I have a Yellow Bird Magnolia and a Butterflies Magnolia that I bought about 3 years ago, each are about 7-8' tall and foliage on both always healthy. They're planted in the ground. They each were blooming when I purchased them but have never bloomed since.

I'm trying to figure out why they haven't bloomed the past two summers despite the foliage looking healthy...

They're in a partial sun area and are on a drip system which is only used in the late spring/summer/early fall since otherwise it rains a lot here. The soil is pretty porous so they're not overwatered/sitting in water.

I'm wondering if they need more sun in order to bloom? Anyone know why these type of trees wouldn't bloom? Fertilizer/not fertile enough soil? Hopefully someone knows...

I'm trying to figure out if I should relocate them to more sunny areas and/or if I should start applying compost to soil to try and improve soil condition to encourage them to bloom since I haven't applied compost/fertilizer to them since I purchased them.

Comments (36)