SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karate626

Pretty pumped about new perennial mailbox plantings!

karate626
12 years ago

Hi perennial forum. This is my first post here. I usually post in the houseplant, mid-Atlantic, and palm forums.

I divided and was given perennials and I planted them all around the mailbox and down the road so hopefully the view from my house will be full of flowers! The plants I planted were:

17 Daffodil bulbs (wrong time of year to plant but was given them so beggars can't be choosers :)

Daylilies (the common small yellow kind and an expensive kind with peach coloured blooms from a division from an Aunt. I may plant some of my common tawny/ditch lilies also)

Spiderwort (native to my area but this specific plant is from my Great Aunt in Georgia)

Siberian & Bearded Iris (not sure of bloom colours)

Gladiolus bulb (only one small clump and the main sprout was slightly damaged, hopefully it will live)

Pink, white, and lavender coloured tall garden phlox (transplanted from my side yard, they are great and native!)

White Easter Lilies (never grown true lilies but these were given from my Grandma. They just finished blooming this year but I think they were forced to bloom for the Easter season.)

Black eye susans (some from an Uncle in Virgina and my Great Aunt in Georgia, leaves look slightly different from eachother but it's unclear if they are different varieties or just different previous growing conditions)

Hosta ventricosa (these seed and spread like weeds here! I love them. planted a few small ones since I have s surplus)

Rose of Sharon (planted behind mailbox/plants to serve as a natural barrier between the wild woodland/forest across the street and the roadside garden I'm creating. They too spread by the hundreds from seed!)

I may plant a few more plants if I have get more. I'm hoping they all kind of naturalize and blend to have an array of blooms. What do you guys think about my selection? Do you think this will workout and look nice? It's been a weeks or two since I planted them all and they all seem to be adapting nicely. I think the recent rains have helped them. Do you guys think salt in the winter from will harm these plants?

T.J.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz