SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
imqtpi

Ad-Vent-ures in Ventilation *and* Heating cont'd:

imqtpi
16 years ago

Hi All!

We're definitely in the 'Tween Season here in Z9B, San Jose, CA.

I'm happy to say that I *think* I've got it "Dialed In" as far as my 6x8 HFGH is concerned! It seems like it was almost TOO easy!

Here's the setup:

GH is still covered w/60% shade cloth (we're still getting clear, sunny days), and the HF Solar Fan is still hooked up and kicks in @ appx 80*. No supplemental insulation (yet - I'm thinking about bubble-wrap, though)

Highest High (while I was on vacation for 9 days) was 86.0* in the GH, as opposed to 74.3 outside. Lowest low was 45.9 (outside 39.9).

Even though the sun is pretty low in the sky, the fan still runs totally off Solar and there is still a residual charge going to the Deep Cycle Battery (which was still fully-charged, last time we checked).

So far, So good!

Since we got back, nights have been *quite* chilly. It dipped as low as 31* a couple of nights ago (and we've determined that the coldest part of the night hits around 6:00am).

I have a Desa 'Outdoor Leisure' Umbrella Stand Heater (link below). 1500W/5000 BTU's hooked up to a KKONTROLS thermostat (and lots of ziploc bags + electrical tape to "waterproof" the connections). I've been tweaking around with the thermostat, trying to keep it around 50*.

GH is 292 CF and I haven't done all the calculations for heat requirements (I welcome feedback, as always!), but the heater *seems* to be keeping temps right in the "approximately 50*" range - so I have no complaints, so far!

Observation: Yesterday I tweaked the thermostat to kick-on @ 55*. Last nights' overnight low (outside) was 32.9 and the GH low was 48.7 (which was the same low on the 31* night).

So, while I think I can expect the heater to kick-on at appx 55*, it won't maintain it if the temps dip below appx 35* outside.

I'm anticipating an 18* "gain" over outside lows, so even if it dips to 25* outside (which only happens, maybe, 3-4 nights per year), the GH should stay at appx 43*. This isn't desirable, but isn't "Fatal" either.

FYI: I've added a string of red X-Mas lights to the same circuit that the heater is running on, so I can look out the bathroom window to see if the heater is running. I'm debating adding an Analog AC clock to the same circuit so I can determine how many hours the heater is actually running.

When I look out in the early morning hours I can see it cycling on and off (not too frequently, thank goodness!).

DH is worried about the PG&E bill, so it might be a Good [or Bad!] idea to calculate the total # of hours the heater is actually running...

Anyway, I just wanted to "Report In" and let ya'all know that I am VERY happy with the performance of my GH, so far!

Best part: With the heat and ventilation, I don't see NEARLY as much condensation as I did with the old "tent" GH. It's downright "pleasant" in there now!

Thanks - and if you have any comments or feedback (or want to opine on BTU's vs CF), I'd be most interested in hearing feedback!

-Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Umbrella Stand Heater

Comments (2)