SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
radagast_gw

Enjoying my first rose...

radagast
13 years ago

It's been almost 3 weeks since I purchased my first rose bush - a little Knockout in a 1-gallon pot from Lowe's on sale. I figured I'd start with something easy, and the ability to resist blackspot is key here in Maryland. I potted it up into a 4 gallon pot so it can leave on my balcony (I have a south-facing, 3rd floor apartment - another reason I don't want to spray chemicals all over the place.) I'll have to prune it eventually to keep it in bounds, but right now it is just a little bush that has completed its first flush of lipstick red flowers.

I used a 1:1 mix of potting medium and perlite to provide adequate drainage so it wouldn't end up sitting in soggy soil, and it gets full sun nearly all day. The flowers so far have been great, and they do have a scent if you get close, which is nice.

I did see something odd yesterday: something came by and munched off all the hips that were left behind from the first flush. I suspect a squirrel did it since they are about the only critter aside from birds that can get to it. No harm done since it basically dead-headed the plant for me, but I hope that squirrels don't eat the flowers until after they are spent.

Anyway, someday when I have a place of my own I'll add more complex roses... maybe some antiques if they are blackspot resistant... but this is a good place to start!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living