SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
divine_miss_em

can young fava plants still fix nitrogen?

divine.miss.em
11 years ago

I planted some favas (as cover crop) pretty late in the Winter, and they're only about 6 inches tall right now. Ideally, I'd like to plant my summer garden in about a month, and I'm wondering how much longer I have to wait until I can till them under and amend the soil. I know that typically favas are tilled at the time of flowering, but I want to know if they will still fix nitrogen if tilled before that stage of growth.

I'm also wondering if, once I turn these plants under, I still need to amend my soil with extra nitrogen fertilizer, or if the nodules from the favas will have provided enough? This will be my 4th year of vegetable planting in my raised bed, and last summer the yield of my tomatoes was unusually low and the vines were not nearly as vigorous as years past. I've understood that it was probably due to potassium and phosphate deficiencies, so I'm wondering if I can just amend the soil with rock potash (K) and bone meal (Ph). Or do I still need to apply a complete fertilizer regardless of the cover crop?

Comments (8)