SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amazindirttn

cheap, portable, easy to erect GH?

Amazindirt (7a TN)
16 years ago

Okay, guys --

I'm starting my search for a cheap, portable, easy to erect GH. I'm thinking in the 8 x 8 or 10 x 10 range. Lower price is better, $800 absolute limit but $500 range better.

I plan to erect it next to a house wall -- either on the south side of the house (deciduous tree cover means nearly full sun in winter, shade in summer) or on the NW corner where there's a brick patio area. Either place should be easy to run electricity to the GH for heating, and close to a hose faucet for water.

I mean to use it for half-hardy or tender perennials in winter, and to keep my succulents dry in the summer. If I can keep it at 50 or 60 degrees over winter I'll be very happy; if I can keep it at 40 I'll be happy enough. It doesn't really need to have a lifespan of more than 5 years, since I may well be moving before then. It DOES need to be erectable/movable by one person or max two people.

I've looked at a bunch of models so far, but I don't know enough about GHs to judge well. I have looked at Flowerhouse, Weatherguard, Harbor Freight, Poly-Tex, Rion, and others. I like the ones with barn-style roofs and the hoop-style ones, since they both seem to give more interior space, but I am not stuck on them.

Anybody have favorites? Warnings? I've already searched the forum archives a bit, but more advice is better. Any input would be welcomed!

Comments (4)