SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
txaj

Questions on zero turn mowers

txaj
13 years ago

Hi all,

Hope I have the right forum here....

I'm seriously considering replacing my Craftsman DGT6000 with a zero turn. The Craftsman does OK, but takes forever to mow the area I'm currently mowing - about 1 1/2 acres with lots of trees and lots of stuff to edge around. It's not really a finished yard, but a maintained pasture - lots of weeds, small potholes, etc. It is level, with only a few drain ditches with mildly sloped sides to mow.

My questions are, never having used a ZTR, will they do OK on rougher terrain? I haven't picked out a ZTR yet, but am looking at the Bad Boy Pup series as well as some others. I'm really hesitant to shell out 6 or 7 thousand dollars if I'm going to create problems by using it this way. I don't abuse my equipment, but I don't baby it either.

Also, what kind of cut quality (in general) should I expect from a ZTR when cutting weeds, thistles, sewer grass (or whatever the correct name for it is - grows on the septic drain field)? I know I have to adjust the speed to compensate for taller grass, but do they generally cut stuff down in one pass? I have to mow the thistles several time with my mower now to get them cut, a lot of times they just get flattened then spring back up the next day.

Thanks for any help you can offer, and if you have any advice on what to look for when shopping for one, I'd like to hear it.

Andy

Comments (12)

Sponsored