SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
olddufus

Troy-Bilt Bronze Gear Failure

olddufus
17 years ago

I have a 32-yr old Troy-Bilt horse that I inherited from my Dad after he had it for 20 years. 5 yr ago, I "rebuilt" the transmission train feeding the tilling tines. Got a kit that replaced the bronze worm gear and two bearings for the tine shaft and I replaced the bearings on the main worm drive shaft that runs fore and aft. The original cast-bronze worm gear was worn down horribly and looked much different from its replacement.

Five years later, I have again wrecked the replaced gear. Does any one agree that the main reason could be that I failed to properly shim the fore and aft shaft? It had as much as 1/4 inch movement fore and aft and when I got smart to check the manual, it said the tolerance must be a fraction of an inch, but not so tight as to heat and seaze the rear bearings.

Is it worth buying a 2nd bronze gear and this time some shims for the worm axle (the shims can be inserted from the rear of the unit?

Actually, even if this works, I have a worse problem: The main wheel axle leaks transmission fluid badly. I have tried in vain to replace the oil seals (have had to dig the old ones out with a screw driver and "destroy" them in the process. They are like thin sardine cans that have a spring apparently to generate contact with the transmission housing counterbore and a rubber gasket ring that you need surgen's gloves and protective tape on the shaft to keep from cutting them. I think my real problem source is that the wheel shaft is extremely worn so that I will never get a good seal unless I switch out the shaft. Or perhaps, the shaft bearings are shot with eccentric wear so that the wheel shaft sits too high, causing the seals to ovalize and ooze oil. I will appreciate helpful advice to know if it is worth pursuing a solution to the leakage problem.

BTW, when I discovered that the bronze gear was shot, it had seen the last of it when the entire machine bounded for my storm cellar, bouncing sickeningly down about 5 concrete steps and grazing the side of the entrance while smashing the engine grill/pull-start cage and sending shrill sounds and sparks like the 4th of July. A very sad day in my experience....

I am saddened by the use MTD is making of the Troy-Bilt name. Rumor has it that the new Troy-wanna-be's are not the quality that made Troy-Bilt famous...

I am considering one of those Super-Bronco's but have heard some "discouraging words" on this site. Also, compared to my old unit, the newer product looks quite a bit whimpy and the transmission case looks as small as a mouse trap and that has me a bit worried...

Comments (5)