SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_thefarm

Awful year

melissa_thefarm
12 years ago

Well, the weather, though bad, could be worse, but this is perhaps the ugliest spring flowering I have seen since I began gardening twenty-odd years ago.

We had the wettest winter on record followed by a hot dry April and May, when normally these months are mild and rainy. Our roses roasted in the sun and dehydrated in the wind (the potted camellia and our lilacs earlier met the same fate), while 1"-2" wide cracks formed in the ground going several inches deep. This year also brought the worst beetle infestation I've seen since I came to Italy. If you're here, Suzy, perhaps you can tell me their common names in English: the large handsome green-gold beetle and the more numerous one that's smaller and black finely speckled paler. We have them every year, of course, but this is the first year where they've been on every variety and on every rose, or close enough. I don't mind sharing, but I want some blooms, too. Also unprecedented is the speckled black beetles' infesting so many other flowers: peonies and iris nearly as bad as the roses, and even continuing on to pyracanthas, phlomis, and lambs' ears. Now we're experiencing the attacks of the wicked insect that lays its eggs in the stem of a rose that has formed buds: the eggs hatch and the offspring eat their way down the foliage of the stem. They're not worse than usual, nor the aphids, nor the fungal diseases. Something has eaten much of the foliage of my barberries (the common variety: B. thunbergii 'Atropurpurea'), which I've never known to happen before. The population of animals that presumably feed on insects appears normal: birds, lizards, and our usual huge complement of wasps, a nest of every shrub.

Watering has just been a misery this spring. In our unwisdom we planted a lot of plants in March. I know that the proper planting time is before Christmas. I know this. But this year we couldn't plant in the fall or winter because it was so wet; and I didn't take into account the (statistically slight) possibility of a spring drought. Also my husband doesn't believe in keeping plants in pots through the summer; and he's paying the price now, being the one who does most of the watering. I think we're going to lose a lot of late-planted plants this summer.

The native flora looks fine; obviously it has a lot of built-in resistance to weather variation or it wouldn't exist. Also we have plenty of water owing to the extremely wet winter, though how long this will stay the case I can't say, if the dry weather continues. Our local water comes from a nearby reservoir on the Arda, supplied by water from the Apennines. They're not tall mountains; they don't have a year-round snow pack. Most of our local rivers (streams) go dry or nearly so in the summer.

The plants in the shade garden came off much better than those in the big garden, the shade garden being relatively cool and moist and protected from wind, which the big garden is not. We continue to plant shrubs and trees in the big garden, but it will take a few years still before the shrubs really make their presence felt, and the trees may well take a decade to get well going. Until the the big garden will have to live with its wind and sun. I look forward to the day when the shrubs will be taller than I am.

I got a lot of pleasure from my clematis this spring. They seem to like the deep clay of the big garden, if they can be gotten through the first season's drought. 'Lord Neville' has been in place for about four years, and had a handsome flowering indeed, coming earlier than other clematis since I didn't prune it (I don't know what group it belongs to) and so not feeling the dry weather. It's a bold blue-violet, very handsome with the pink of the old roses and silvery-gray foliage of the aromatics that surround it. The clematis in the shade garden haven't grown to speak of in the years since they were planted. I had just about decided to pull them out and plant honeysuckle, when they decided to live and bloom. They're still small, but the blooms were lovely. So they stay.

We got a couple of bales of bad hay and I've been busy weeding and mulching, getting up at five and taking a nap in the afternoon when the sun is insupportable. Last night it rained. We may actually have gotten an inch, extremely welcome and more rain than we'd gotten in all the the last two months. Temperatures have dropped for a day or two and our house (a heat sink with its thick masonry walls) has been cooled down. Down in the second year French rose bed in the big garden (Teas and Chinas), I see with satisfaction that some plants are seeding: Verbena bonariensis, Salvia sclarea (Clary sage), lambs' ears, and a phlomis with lavender flowers. So we're on our way to having that weed-smothering thicket of flowers I've dreamed of.

Melissa

Comments (13)

• bart_2010
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Can I ever relate!This was the worst spring for my garden, too.I have terrible problems with those beetles as well. The little black one with white spots is the much-hated Oxythyrea funesta; the big one is Cetonia aurata.The have gotten so bad for me-especially O. funesta-that this year I've been trying to pick them off religiously (under the blazing sun, since that is when they are active). I also found a scientific institute in Hungary, the Plant Protection Institue,that has just come out with a pheromone trap for O.funesta,and I bought ten of these.My garden is far from my home,so by now I'm on this awkward schedule of getting out there around noon (after getting water from a fountain; I can carry about 300 liters in my car),putting the water into my tanks, doing the rounds of picking off bugs,and staying very late, until dark, to water,etc.Now I'm going into Summer Drought Mode (already!!!) I don't water established roses,of course ,but this week I watered the moves, new implants and second-years.Now, I plan to follow Paul Zimmerman's technique-not water them again until I see wilting,count back ,so then I'll know how often I have to water.I cut all the buds off my delphiniums and gave them some water (first one of the season) last night, hoping they'll save their strength for better years. You were smarter than I, Melissa. You forsaw that this was gonna be a bad drought;I just kidded myself along,so now I'm stuck getting water, etc.At this point I want everything to go dormant if it can,and just rest.I really don't like summer, and it's been summer since April this year, practically no beautiful spring.And those meteologists keep on predicting "rain next week". Ha! Yep, it's an awful garden year for me, too. Let's hope for better days! regards, bart

• jacqueline9CA
    12 years ago

Heavens! You guys made me stop complaining about our way wetter than normal Spring (normally we have no rain whatsoever from late April/early May through Oct). Also, any rain we usually get in the Spring is really only sort of a drizzle, but this year we are getting strong storms. It is still raining here - two days ago we got one inch - not unheard of in history, but I have lived here forever, and the last Spring that was this wet that I remember was in 1965!

It has not just been wet, but chilly. Our roses were all way behind because of that, but then we had one of the best blooms ever, until several rain storms came and the flowers got smushed. Nevertheless, it remained cool and wet, and several roses I have that would be way done by now are still blooming. The hills even remained green through to the beginning of May - by that time they are usually completely brown.

Luckily, this weird weather has not brought any unusual bug infestations - just the normal rose cucurlios, which are nasty but disappear after a while. I don't even count aphids, as they really don't do much damage, and flocks of tiny birds come and eat them, along with the good bugs.

So sad to hear of your troubles - as I said, I have now completely stopped complaining! Good luck for more rain in the future - we are looking forward to our normal warm/hot dry rainless summer. Since that is normal, most folks who garden here have automatic watering systems - I still have to water some pots, but my DH runs around behind me when I plant a new one saying "Do you want me to put an emitter in that?" .

I laugh sometimes when I read proud pronouncements from rose gardeners elsewhere that they "don't give the roses any supplemental water", and then I find out it rains once or twice a week all summer where they live!

Jackie

• Related Discussions

Foxtail really awful this year

Q

Comments (1)
    It's been too dry here in central Indiana this summer for most any weeds......I got about 1.7 inches of measurable rainfall during an eight week period...unlike a few miles further south.
    ...See More

Poor clematis looks awful

Q

Comments (4)
    Adam, the type II clematis I have here in NC consistently get browned out leaves and also get leaves whose margins are browned out once the temps. start getting into the mid 80s. This happens regardless of how much watering I give them, but they seem to survive the winter and return the following year. In your zone, this phenomena might also happen although I think that your problem might also be related to the lack of watering you have given them. I would resume watering as needed now. The light green leaves are typically a sign of a magnesium deficiency and can often be remedied by watering the plant several times with a solution of epsom salts. I wouldn't however give the plant any high nitrogen fertilizer at this time of year since it will stimulate new growth and that is not what you want to happen now in your zone. Topdressing with compost or some similar slow release organic fertilze will aid in building up the soil tilth without the resultant problem of stimulating new growth. This is about all you can do this year to help your clematis survive the winter. Also give the plant a nice layer of mulch to help conserve water and insulate it through the winter.
    ...See More

Big Zebra

Q

Comments (1)
    Hey Edie; I grew "Big Zebra" 3 years ago. I had to look in my journal to remember what it was like. I only grew it that one year as I found it to be rather sweet and bland. It was a late season variety as it was ripe along with "Rose". I also grew a "Giant Green Zebra" which wasn't "Giant". It was somewhat bigger than the original but didn't warrant the name.
    ...See More

Prayers for my brother

Q

Comments (25)
    Thank you so much for the prayers. I know that they were heard and answered! Thank you Jesus. Dean had the surgery and they removed the blockage and put in a stint. He is doing well tonight and if things are good tomorrow he may be able to go home. Thank you again. I really,really believe in the power of prayer and put Dean on a lot of prayer lists. Thank you again.
    ...See More
  • jerijen
    12 years ago

Like Jackie, I shake my head at "don't give the roses any supplemental water," as our area is even drier than hers. To grow roses here, you MUST water -- and our rains generally stop earlier than hers, and begin later.

This HAS been a wet spring, but tho NoCal is still getting rain, I'm not sure we'll see measurable rain here in "Pleasant Valley." But I'm not going to whine, either. We also don't have beetles (other than the occasional Fig Beetle) nor even circulios. This spring, I've not even seen aphids!

Jeri in Ventura County's Coastal Desert

• buford
    12 years ago

melissa, that sounds awufl, like end of the world plagues! Having gone through 3 years of drought, I can relate. We had a nice rainy early spring, then 24 days of hot dry weather with no rain. Add in a couple of nights where it went down to 40 (which screws up forming rose buds) and it's been hard. The first flush was nice, but the second, between the deformed buds from the cold and the thrips, they are all going in the garbage. Oh well. Hopefully the rain is more regular from now on, I hate to water. I hope your summer gets better.

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    12 years ago

I guess it isn't too bad here, except that my 134 roses have become the companion plants to the salvia, larkspur, and all the other former companion plants.

We had the harsest winter I can remember. I am still in school, and will not finish until next Friday. This is very late for us, but we were out for 2 weeks of snow days. After the harsh winter, we had very erratic weather especially on the weekends. It was either rainy or we had a sudden cold spell. As my roses were ready for their first flush, we had enough of a freeze or cold spell that all of the buds became partially brown. Then heavy rains, hot/ cold weather. It has all taken its toll on the blossoms, but the plants are surviving.

Now the wind is a problem. I am never sure when to water since the high winds seem to dry out the plant, but the roots are plenty wet.

I feel guilty as I write this because we live less than 2 hours from Joplin Missouri where there was a tragic tornado. I truly do count my blessings, and wish the best for those of you who have been terrorized, threatened, or hurt by those tornadoes.

This has been an unusual year, and it looks like it is almost universal. I still am hoping that my tomatoes will produce well. Maybe my roses will also perk up, and have a good summer.

Melissa, I hope the weather turns to beautiful rose weather for you, too.

Sammy

• organic_tosca
    12 years ago

Melissa, I'm so sorry you're having a bad year. Like my fellow Northern Californians, I have been whining, but will stop now! My balcony garden has not been happy with the weird Spring we have been having, but it's not really dire. One of my roses (a Tea) had a magnificent earlier Spring flush, though now is being eaten alive by aphids - the others are not too thrilled with the weather, but I think they'll be OK when it settles down and warms up. It is, however, an odd year here for bugs, at least for me - no ladybugs, no syrphid flies, hence tons of the aforementioned aphids, but a number of curculio beetles, and a very small red beetle I have never seen is here in great numbers. Again, maybe this odd ratio of pests to predators will even out when the weather stabilizes. Anyway, the roses in the Sacramento Old City Cemetery are thriving and gorgeous, and that place seems to have its own little perfect ecosystem in regards to the insect world, so I get my rose fix there!!
    Hope it all gets better for your lovely place, and soon.
    Laura

• 5400jana
    12 years ago

I would grow roses only in that area where young plants may need supplemental watering, not older, established specimens. If this is not possible, I wouldn't grow them. Jana

• greybird
    12 years ago

I need to stop groaning. Yes, my part of Texas is in exceptional drought, 100 degree temps began in April, with a current high this year of 110 on Saturday. So what is the wind blows day and night too, with dust clouding the horizon. No weeding, because the usual grassburrs, goatheads. wild verbena, careless weeds, wild mistletoe, etc, just couldn't grow in the parched dirt this year. I think I did see a tumbleweed baby or two, they can grow where nothing else can. We are so used to the heat, we can work out in it all day, no sweat, lol.

Blooms, you mean those dried up tissue paper looking wads?

But we did get 3.75" of rain Thursday a week ago, the first we have seen since November. 'Course, it didn't take but a second to soak in or maybe just evaporate. We actually heard toads that night. Then back to hot the next day.

But no plague-like bugs. Actually, no bugs at all. No butterflies either, I think the bird ate all the catepillars. Earthworms are gone too. I can throw away the mosquito repellant, what do we need that for?

And no hauling water, that would just be too much for me. The well is holding for now. Then I will turn on the city water spicot and open up my pocketbook.

The wind is my companion, It has blown day and night for 3 days I know, 30-50 mph, howls and howls. But a blessing that the tornados has missed us thus far.

My family has owned the farms here for 3 generations, grandparents immigrated from Germany and Switzerland, to join family who came over before them. Makes you wonder, the wagon must have broken down here, because nobody would pick here on purpose. I need to stop complaining or start packing.

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

Melissa, It does sound like a difficult and most discouraging year. Your garden with its steep slope is a challenging place to work at the best of times, though often all the more rewarding for it. Beautiful up close with all its vignettes, and simply stunning from a distance. I do admire the way you find things to delight you even though your discouragement -- your pleasure in the clematis, your satisfaction in the self-seeding of plants you hope to encourage, and your gratitude for a bit of rain and falling temperature.

I will knock on wood and wish that next year you will be able to look back and say, "it started off rough but turned out to be a pretty decent year after all."

Rosefolly

• melissa_thefarm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You folks are too kind. Yes, this is the worst flowering I've ever seen since I started gardening, but then, it's just flowers. The plants are generally fine. We haven't had any slides (quite a bit of earth shifting and bulging, though, with all that rain in the winter). Some plants have actually been beautiful, though the roses are a distraction; and I never thought I would find myself saying, "Thank goodness the roses are nearly done blooming and the garden can start to look decent again"! I was down in the big garden yesterday evening. My husband had mowed most of the main paths, and the contrast between the mowed areas and the beds with their shrubs and cultivated herbaceous plants and wild grasses, with Italian cypresses sticking up here and there, was, from certain angles, beautiful. I'm not taking the weather well, it's too sunny and too warm and leaves me sleepy and lethargic, but it has been lovely the last few days, the air washed clean and blue, a breeze blowing, the trees the deep green of early summer. The lavender and common wild daylilies (the only ones I like) are in flower now, strong colors that go well with each other and with the colors of sky and woods. Down in the shade garden rose 'Centifolia' has somehow managed to preserve a good portion of its blooms and is looking most satisfyingly romantic, without losing its dignity in the process. 'Chapeau de Napoleon' also looks pink and lush, if you don't go close enough to see the beetles, and is entwined with the silver and gold of anthemis: a happy sight.
    I appreciate all the sympathy, but in fact I know that this doesn't even come close to being a disaster, not even a second-rate one; certainly not to be spoken of in the same breath with people who've lost their homes to a tornado. All of us, everyone who has written here, goes through hard times of drought, flood, winter ice storms, spring freezes, humid mosquito-plagued summer, dreadful bug infestations. Even with this bad spring, I consider myself one of the luckiest gardeners around, with a soft job when it comes to getting plants to grow. Many of you have harder conditions to deal with than I do.
    Today DH and I went out to the far end of the property where there's an old pear tree in the middle of a field. Years ago we planted two roses there because at the time we didn't have any other place for them: 'Alberic Barbier' and 'Gloire de Guilan'. They're out of reach of water and have gotten practically no attention since we planted them, but lo and behold, they're alive and blooming--with no beetles!!--and with a good firm tenacious hold on existence, too. Last fall or winter we went there and cut away brambles and wild clematis and hawthorn from around the roses, and today we trained 'Alberic Barbier' further up the pear and gave the brush another haircut. GdG is still small but appears well established. The countryside is really, really lovely this time of year; and on the way back we stopped by the cherry tree--the best cherry tree in the whole world--and picked a colander full of fruit before returning home. Really, the world is a beautiful place.

Bart, your spring sounds exactly like our spring; DH and I share your frustration about those weather reports. Our inch of rain was probably a couple of millimeters. Good luck with your watering: it sounds like a lot of work. Do you have a shady place to sit and pass the summer? That's a must in Italy, plus a long siesta every day, and try to get things done early in the morning and in the evening.
    Jackie and Jeri, I'm glad for your rain, which sounds like a blessing! Though I can, with some mental exertion, imagine getting tired of rain. About the supplemental watering, we don't water our plants after the first year, and we have a regular summer drought that runs from two to four months, THOUGH we get a generous annual rainfall, about 40". The plants do fine, perhaps helped by the depth of clay under them, though of course the roses don't bloom when they're dry. But everything lives. (I hope that's true this year as well, with a drought that begins in spring and not in summer.)
    Sammy, I like your comment about the companion plants! It's very much that way in my garden! But then, in spite of all the roses we grow, I've never considered mine a rose garden. Good luck to you as well!
    Laura, I hope your garden gets better weather too!
    Ingrid, for heaven's sake, rejoice in the lovely garden you've had this spring: it makes me feel happy just to hear that it bloomed really well. I appreciate your and others' good wishes. We have a wonderful amount of beauty here, and are definitely not objects of pity, the plague of beetles notwithstanding.
    Jana, Well, that's pretty much our rule. Different people garden in different ways.
    Greybird, you're one of the gardeners who make me realize what a soft, cushy gardening job I have here. I'm glad you finally got some rain!! We suffer from wind too, not to the extent that you do, though. I imagine windbreaks are not a possibility? I'm looking forward to the maturing of the seedling trees we keep planting. No doubt I'll be an old lady by the time they make their influence felt.
    Paula, one of the many kind voices I've heard after my complaining. I think the truly beautiful, albeit dry weather we've had since I wrote my first post has had a beneficial effect on my mood. Plus the roses are nearly out of their misery and the garden is entering a new phase. We're doing pretty well, and a good crop of cherries certainly helps one's mood. It's okay for the moment. We may even get some rain in a couple of days!

Thanks for listening folks! I wish we may all have a change for the better in our weather!

Melissa

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    12 years ago

I loved reading this last post, Melissa, not only because everything seemed better but because your description of the garden and the countryside was so lyrical that I was transported there. Now if you could only share those cherries!

Ingrid

• jerijen
    12 years ago

Oh, I thought that also about the cherries.
    They seem to be very expensive here, this year, so I suppose the weather patterns haven't been kind to them.
    This'll be the first spring in a long time I haven't put up frozen cherries, to enjoy some time when cherries are a memory.
    But maybe, maybe, we'll still get Sweet White corn and local melons.

Jeri