SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
banker74

Pruning for noobies - help/advice please. Pictures Included

banker74
14 years ago

Hi all,

We've had our house for about two years now (Orange County, CA) and I'm still a novice in the yard. I have the mowing & trimming thing down ok (though haven't done it for a few weeks), but the trees are another story.

There is one in particular that I really like. A friend said it was a pear blossom (or something like that), and I'm afraid that when I prune it I'll mess things up pretty badly. If I don't prune it I'm afraid I'll lose some branches one day. I really like the shape and way it has grown (sprawling vs. more compact), and am looking to try to retain that look while at the same time preventing the limbs from getting too long and eventually breaking. So...I'm looking for suggestions.

I've uploaded a few pictures of the tree in case I can get direct recommendations, though it may be one of these things where I can't provide the right perspective. I know there are some online sites that give general recommendations, but I was hoping for something a bit more specific here. You'll note in the second picture I've circled the branches that really stick out far, and where I fear those may become an issue in the future.

Finally, is now a bad time to be pruning it? Some places I've read say it doesn't matter, while others say not to do it while it's blossoming.

{{gwi:330546}}

{{gwi:330548}}

{{gwi:330549}}

{{gwi:330550}}

I'm off to do some yard work and look forward to any suggestions - thanks for any thoughts and feedback!

Comments (4)