SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weedlady_gw

Tar paper mulch between raised beds--yes or no??

weedlady
15 years ago

We recently added a new roof over our deck in the process of making a screen porch. After we put the tarpaper over the plywood but before we could get the shingles on, we had a few days of really rainy, windy weather that tore off a couple of the strips of tar paper, tangling them up & making them useless. We re-laid new strips.

As I stood next to my ten l5"-high cedar raised beds (new as of last late summer) and gazed at the grass growing between them (the width of the lawn mower...OR a piece of roofing felt/tarpaper) and hating the thought of sending the paper to a landfill, I wondered...

Although I garden organically, and I instinctively feel tar paper is a nasty no-no, I had planned to scrounge newspaper (we do not subscribe) or cardboard (I've already used up our boxes from moving, using them to line the raised beds, but I expect craigslist folk could come to my rescue there) to lay down between the rows and then hope for a tree-chipping crew to come thru my neighborhood and let me have the chips for free. :-) But those long pieces of tar paper (as well as the bit leftover on the roll that was not needed) are tempting me. We also have a partial roll of that reddish-colored paper that is put down before laying hardwood flooring that I am thinking of using the same way. I do not think I'd have to worry about that, but correct me if I am wrong!

OK--hit me with your thoughts, gang! Yea or nay?

Thanks a bunch! RD

Comments (13)