SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chele519

Soil test results

chele519
13 years ago

I recently did a soil test and just got the results back last night. This is the first time I've done this although I've been using this garden for 6 or 7 years. I'm confused with the results because in the faq there is mention of nitrogen but that is not on my results list and I'm not sure what to use for fertilizer. I'm hoping someone can help with this.

pH - Soil 6.30 Optimum Range

Calcium, Mehlich 3 (Ca) 1039 (ppm) O 800 - 1200

Magnesium, Mehlich 3 (Mg) 186 (ppm) H 60 - 120

Potassium, Mehlich 3 (K) 71 (ppm) L 170 - 280

Phosphorus, Mehlich 3 (P) 73 (ppm) H 30 - 50

Lead, Mehlich 3 (Pb) 5 (ppm) L

Vegetable Garden (pH range 6.0 - 6.5)

Supplements: No Lime or Sulfur required at this time.

Fertilizer Application: We recommend that you uniformly broadcast 18 lbs per 1,000 sq. ft. of 10-0-10 plus 5 lbs per 1,000 sq. ft. of 0-0-22. A second application of fertilizer ( 12 lbs per 1,000 sq. ft. of 10-0-10) 3-4 weeks after planting or transplanting should be side dressed or applied by banding six inches from the growing plants and if possible, lightly incorporated into the soil and thoroughly incorporate it into soil before planting.

This will result in a total application of 30 lbs per 1,000 sq. ft. of 10-0-10.

Based on this Magnesium and phosphorus are high, potassium is low. In the faq it says to add potash for the potassium and to use a fertilizer low in phosphorus.

Do I need to go to a nursery to get fertilizers with these numbers? I haven't seen anything except small bags/containers of vegetable fertilizer at HD/Lowes. In the past I've always just used bags of Miracle Gro garden soil but I figured why spend the money if I don't need it. Does this mean I don't need topsoil either?

Comments (8)