SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tigerpurring_gw

Favorite Little Tumbler for the Big City?

tigerpurring
15 years ago

Hi,

I've spent more than two hours looking through old tumbler posts while my twins have turned my house inside-out. While I got a real education on compost, I still need a bit of advice (and my time on the computer has run out!).

I have a patio that's about 18'x18'. (I live in a townhouse, so I don't have a yard.) In it I would like to install a small SFG garden and compost tumbler. I have chosen to use a compost tumbler due to my space limitations.

I need help in choosing a tumbler, however. Living near downtown Houston, we have a healthy roach population outside (not wood roaches), and I'd like to make sure that I won't encourage them to congregate in or around the tumbler, which will be just outside my bedroom window. I understand that these aren't air-tight, but I'm hoping I can find one that is roach-proof.

Hopefully, the tumbler can be filled with vegetable scraps and other household waste, and once full allowed to "cook" until it's ready for spreading. We're not in a hurry to generate massive amounts of compost, I just want to recycle our compostables (which will include weed seed) in a tidy, low-profile, kid-friendly way. :)

Thanks for the help. Better go; big twin sis is sitting on her brother!

Comments (5)